Water in gas or blown head gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Water in gas or blown head gasket?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
burley
1976 CJ5 

Water in gas or blown head gasket?

I bought my 76 CJ5 with 258 last year and I've been slowly chipping away at it since. I've added a gallon here and there with the appropriate amount of STA-BIL and have been turning it over and getting up to operating temp every month or 2. PO let it sit for god knows how long.

Last week I finally got her on the road and it idled a little rough at first but drove fine, mostly. 5 min into the drive it acted like it was starving for fuel and I babied the throttle home and gunned it up my steep driveway no problem.

Thinking it was running low on gas I fired it up to head to the gas station the next day. White smoke poured out the exhaust for a second and it took a few revs to blow it out. It ran rough like it wasn't firing on all cylinders and lacked power, until I gunned it. Ran fine to/from the station.

While filling it only took a gallon before overflowing out the filler hole and leaking from somewhere above the tank. After she was done pissing herself I got home (lots of steep hills) just fine.

I've got whip cream under my oil cap, and my clear fuel filter looked like milk inside, finally settling with lots clear fluid floating on (or under?) gas. No noticeable water out the exhaust, and the dipstick shows no signs of coolant. Coolant level in radiator looks fine.

I've read that water in gas mimics signs of a blown head gasket. Ideas? Thanks.

burley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Is it making bubbles in the radiator when you run it with the cap off once it's fully warmed up? A blown head gasket will often do that.

Your milky stuff under the caps could be caused by your only occasional starting and warming it up then killing it. That's good for keeping it exercised but horrible for drawing moisture and building it up inside the engine, it takes a good extended run to get it cleared out.

The pissing herself sounds like the big O-Ring that seals your pickup/sending unit assembly is bad or missing on top of your tank or you could have another hose off or cracked. When I got mine, one of them the owner had put a new Crown tank on and whomever he had put it in that one had gotten the O-Ring on the pickup/sending unit in wrong and also had the float snapped in the loop facing the wrong way so it would come to rest on top of the pickup tube and never go all the way down to E, would stop just above E.

The rest could indeed be caused by bad gas or gas with water in it. I'd say start by putting a new fuel filter on it, clearly gonna have to since it's milky. If it still acts up try disconnecting the hose between the hardline and the fuel pump and taking a long line and hooking to the pump inlet and laying over in a can of clean gas sitting beside the Jeep and see if it starts and runs fine on that.

In either event it still sounds like you have a leak and your gas tank is contaminated so sounds like you may as well start by draining and dropping your tank, cleaning it out, fixing the seals and hoses, and putting it back up. Only takes a couple of hours. Then you can refill it with good clean gas.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
Is it making bubbles in the radiator when you run it with the cap off once it's fully warmed up? A blown head gasket will often do that.

Your milky stuff under the caps could be caused by your only occasional starting and warming it up then killing it. That's good for keeping it exercised but horrible for drawing moisture and building it up inside the engine, it takes a good extended run to get it cleared out.

The pissing herself sounds like the big O-Ring that seals your pickup/sending unit assembly is bad or missing on top of your tank or you could have another hose off or cracked. When I got mine, one of them the owner had put a new Crown tank on and whomever he had put it in that one had gotten the O-Ring on the pickup/sending unit in wrong and also had the float snapped in the loop facing the wrong way so it would come to rest on top of the pickup tube and never go all the way down to E, would stop just above E.

The rest could indeed be caused by bad gas or gas with water in it. I'd say start by putting a new fuel filter on it, clearly gonna have to since it's milky. If it still acts up try disconnecting the hose between the hardline and the fuel pump and taking a long line and hooking to the pump inlet and laying over in a can of clean gas sitting beside the Jeep and see if it starts and runs fine on that.

In either event it still sounds like you have a leak and your gas tank is contaminated so sounds like you may as well start by draining and dropping your tank, cleaning it out, fixing the seals and hoses, and putting it back up. Only takes a couple of hours. Then you can refill it with good clean gas.
I'll check for bubbles, thanks. I'll follow your advice and chime back in.
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Where you live, and it's winter. I say your oil cap is SOP.
I would look at water/condensation in the fuel tank.

LG
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
burley
1976 CJ5 

No bubbles from the coolant. Put in a new fuel filter / bypassed the gas tank and fed it some premium via gas can. Fired right up with almost no smoke. Looks like I just need to dump the tank of bad gas.. really glad I don't have to do a head gasket.
Unread 02-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you are going to drop the tank to clean it this is a good time to replace the fuel hoses above the tank. The fuel supply hose tends to crack and leak and allow air into the system.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
burley
1976 CJ5 

Siphoned out about 11 gallons of gas (pretty sure its just 15 gal tank), all of it looked yellow and I didn't see any water. Added 9 gallons of premium fuel, and it ran decent until it didn't. Same rough idle, and when I hit the gas it wants to die unless I really hammer it. When I got it home the fuel filter looked full of water again. Am i going to have to change the FF every 2 miles until the water is gone?
img_5621.jpg

Unread 02-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The water sets UNDER the gas in your tank, just like your filter shows.
Drop the tank and dump it ALL......
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.