WARNING! Tire Carrier Weld Failure! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > WARNING! Tire Carrier Weld Failure!

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

WARNING! Tire Carrier Weld Failure!

The basic recipe for home made tire carriers has been getting more popular lately. Using a trailer hub and a frame all welded together is pretty common to most designs. I have attached some images of what I experienced today, fortunately it was in the yard not on the interstate...

I didn't weld up the tire carrier or the spindle connection, I found them on a parts jeep at some guys house and made him an offer along with some other parts. It looked stout enough and had some trail mud on it so I went with it.

A few things I noticed, the lower tube that attached to the trailer hub was wet inside due to no drainage this likely weakened the weld and base metal. The base metal for the hub has crystalline structure and looks like it could be cast. The weld didn't have good penetration, the lower tube was mild steel and has a good connection but the hub failed right at the base metal weld interface which would seem to indicate incompatible rod or process.

The moral of the story is don't trust other peoples welds or your own if you aren't certain of what you are doing.

20130910_201700.jpg

20130910_201731.jpg

CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

I just bought a custom tube bumper for 30 bucks. I'm gonna grind off most of the welds and have my dad reweld them. He worked in a welding shop for 20 years so I'm confident he can do it right for me
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Looks like it was done with a cheap 110V welder and whoever welded it didn't drag the puddle into both pieces. No penetration whatsoever.

I'm definitely no professional, that's why all the crucial welds for my axle swap were out sourced.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

How thick is the metal?
Newbjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

It looks like that may have been part of the problem, the hub metal is probably pretty thick there compared to the tube steel.
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I had this one bust on me during the summer. Fortunetly it was while offroad, and not on the highway!

I didn't even use a trailer hub, but instead just 3 long bolts to hold on the tire.. Originally just a temporary solution, it ended up being like that for 4 years until 2 of the bolts snapped right off.

I then went out a bought the beefiest looking spare hub I could find. Bolted onto the mount. Seems to be working fine. Its not the best option, but I have a custom bumper, and my spare options seem limited
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
I just bought a custom tube bumper for 30 bucks. I'm gonna grind off most of the welds and have my dad reweld them. He worked in a welding shop for 20 years so I'm confident he can do it right for me
$30. That's less than an hour's pay for a qualified welder. Think about that.

Quote:
I'm definitely no professional, that's why all the crucial welds for my axle swap were out sourced.
I'm in the same boat as you. The thought of so many so called "welds" out there holding critical things together scares the daylights out of me. It IS a big deal. People can die because things aren't welded right.
Unread 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
CSP

Most of those trailer hubs that people use are cast.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
$30. That's less than an hour's pay for a qualified welder. Think about that.

I'm in the same boat as you. The thought of so many so called "welds" out there holding critical things together scares the daylights out of me. It IS a big deal. People can die because things aren't welded right.
That's why said I was going to have my father who is a 20 year welding vet reweld it for me. I don't trust other peoples welds
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I feel pretty confident looking at the metal of the hub that it is some cheap a$$ chinese crap metal. If the weld would have been mild steel on both sides I think it would have stuck. I base that on the fact that the weld bead completly adhered to the mild steel lower tube section when it parted. The weld failed IN the base metal of the hub. Looking at it, it has that crystalline look like it is made of cast metal.
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Mine (trailer spindle) is clear thru the tube. Welded top and bottom.
Its a copy of Besrk(Eddies) rear swing away bumper.
If this thing comes loose. The weld will be the least of my worries.
Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Looks like it was done with a cheap 110V welder and whoever welded it didn't drag the puddle into both pieces. No penetration whatsoever.

NO pent. at all.
Don't blame the tool, it was the knothead using it, that didn't turn the dial up for more amperage.
My Lincoln 110vac welder does just fine
Several of the rollcages I have made and welded with the Lincoln welder has saved the occupants.
I would like to know what alloy steel was used. I will only use 4140/.125 wall, dom. for that type of work.
LG
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Ouch!

Yeah.. that's one of the reasons I've never used a factory "cast" hub for a pivot tube. Instead, I spent $5K on a lathe and make my own tubes from thick wall DOM..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
Ouch!

Yeah.. that's one of the reasons I've never used a factory "cast" hub for a pivot tube. Instead, I spent $5K on a lathe and make my own tubes from thick wall DOM..
You the man Eddie! Good to hear from you. Hope this finds you well.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

That's confirmation enough for me, I suspected the hub was cast... A good lesson for anyone planning a home made tire carrier bumper.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.