Warm up or she gets MAD! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Warm up or she gets MAD!

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #31
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
...Carburetor's are antiquated, inefficient mixing boxes and no way is the driveability up to the the level of even throttle body injection.
You're 100% correct on that. If you know what you're doing, however, you can get a decent carb pretty damn close. They don't have to buck when they're cold.

I'm certainly not trying to be a prick but does a Howell cold-start any better than my video?

Shawn

Unread 03-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #32
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Carburetor's are antiquated, inefficient mixing boxes and no way is the driveability up to the the level of even throttle body injection.
The same thing can be said about a leaf spring suspension. Does this mean we should all be running a 4-link?

Manual transmissions are also antiquated, so I guess that means we all have to switch to automatics.

Then there's that darn blocky body that's prone to rust.....

Believe it or not, some of us get along just fine in cold weather with a carb, and we don't have any of the drivability issues you've described.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #33
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

think about how many 25+ year old carbd vehicles got along in Alaska this winter just fine? Now I would not want a soft top in -50 personally as I know how it is -10 with a soft top and the willys running that old YF got a long better in the bitter cold than me. -16 was the lowest recorded temp where i lived in PA. Im not knocking on either fuel system as they both deliver fuel to the pistons. I do however like the simplicity of my carbs and im not talking about the ones that are ate either.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #34
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:

My experience is carbureted vehicles do not start up and run when cold without feathering the throttle to avoid hesitations or bogging due to moving from the choke/idle circuit to off-idle and the sudden intake of cold dense air until they warm up. That is not the case with FI and that is what I said earlier.

I can say that they they will defiantly run without having to feather the throttle and without any hesitation or bogging when everything is correct. They are old technology but vehicles ran fine on them for almost a hundred years in all kinds of weather.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #35
1983 CJ7 

Shawn, I don't have a Howell system, it's all GM with a modified Motorcraft distributor, big cap, GM coil and Bill Hamilton's tune, I *do* think your Jeep starts faster than mine.

Matt, 'Gypsy, I would love to see you guy's ditch the mixing box but I will bet you don't plan too.

I will still give you chit and you can do the same to me for making a simple Jeep more complicated.
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #36
RWise
1981 CJ5 

But the question is not which is best. And I myself, do not see any great boost in reliability, performance or fuel economy with FI over a finely tune carbed engine! At 0* (-22* wind chill) a few mornings ago mine started right up and drove off with no problems what so ever! Ounce the OP gets the engine/carb dialed in it will run fine! This MAY mean more than just the carb, everything has to work together, until that happens, its a turd!
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #37
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy
Yes, and something a lot of people do that is actually incorrect is they set their choke so that it's completely closed when you tap the accelerator when it's closed, sometimes even held closed very tightly. Then rely on the choke pull-off to open it up a little. My dad (50+ years Master Mechanic) has always said to set your choke so even when closed it's not really all the way closed, it still has about 1/8th of an inch gap, which your choke pull off will then pull open a little further. If you have it closed tightly it may be closed too tight and even when fully warm your choke may not have the movement to open it fully and during warm up it could take longer than it needs to in order to open it. I have always used that setting on every carburetor vehicle I have ever had and as long as everything else works properly that works great. Always starts right off and warms up properly being able to drive them as soon as they start if needed.
What in the world are you inferring?

Grammys works just fine setting it the way the manual said to set it.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #38
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I was going to shoot a vid of it starting after sitting for 4 weeks then within 1 min back it put of the garage, put it in 4low lock the hubs and park it on the snow pile so I can work on my Saturn.

It was 17 outside.

Its always 17 outside............
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #39
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
What in the world are you inferring? Grammys works just fine setting it the way the manual said to set it.
I was scratching my head over that one too, 86.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #40
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
I crank mine for about 5 seconds, just to get the oil pressure up, before pushing the throttle to set the choke (thanks for that tip, 86 ). It fires almost instantly after that, and I can take off driving immediately with no problems. Matt
My new procedure is to just tap the throttle enough to set the choke and turn over engine. It starts all by itself just before the oil pressure builds. No throttle pumping.
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #41
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
My new procedure is to just tap the throttle enough to set the choke and turn over engine. It starts all by itself just before the oil pressure builds. No throttle pumping.
X2 because it just works that way
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #42
1983 CJ7 

If ya'll need a BBD spare, originally installed by AMC on a 258, I threw it up for sale or trade...
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #43
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
If ya'll need a BBD spare, originally installed by AMC on a 258, I threw it up for sale or trade...
How come such a high price?
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #44
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

I find in normal weather one pump to set the choke and prime it works well. I find when it gets below freezing, more pumps to prime are required to get that fast start. Yesterday at -22C I used 3 pumps and it fired right up.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #45
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In 15 F weather here and sitting for weeks at a time I like to turn it over and get oil going before the start.

If I pump gas even once in this weather it lights off directly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.