Warm up or she gets MAD! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Warm up or she gets MAD!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #16
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978CJ7Beast View Post
Going to look into how to adjust the choke. Thanks gents! Much appreciated! Additionally, i found out the wrong fuel filter was installed (LONG story). Anyway, switched it out to the correct filter (making sure the return line is at 12 o'clock). Now, with the correct filter, 2 things are happening:

1. When i start it, it revs at a constant high rpm...as soon as i touch the gas though...it comes down to a lower idle.

2. When in 3 rd gear around 40 or 50 mph, it 's noticeably louder/revs are higher?

Still symptoms of a choke problem?
1. That's how it's suppose to operate. If you can kick the high idle down before the engine is warm, then just tighten the thermal spring in the choke housing. Do small adjustments until the choke will stay on long enough for the engine to warm up, before it kicks down to a regular idle.

2. Welcome to a CJ. Everything gets noticeably louder above 40 mph What RPMs are you running in 3rd at that speed?

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #17
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
1. That's how it's suppose to operate. If you can kick the high idle down before the engine is warm, then just tighten the thermal spring in the choke housing. Do small adjustments until the choke will stay on long enough for the engine to warm up, before it kicks down to a regular idle. 2. Welcome to a CJ. Everything gets noticeably louder above 40 mph What RPMs are you running in 3rd at that speed? Matt
Thanks Matt! I've had a heck of a time getting this thing to run correctly. Sounds like i'm about there . And now i remember reading about this - press the pedal once to set the choke. Got it. I'll make small adjustments to the choke via the thermal spring. Also, i don 't have a tach though... So not sure of the RPMs.
"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #18
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Hello. My CJ starts right up. BUT I NEED to do two things first before driving it:
1. Rev the engine for 30 seconds
2. Let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes. If i don't, she bucks like crazy!! Like she's super mad at me! : )

I had a girl friend like that once

Switched to a small submissive half-Japanese girl and have never had that problem again, she still bucks like crazy but that comes after shes warmed up (and she never gets mad at me)
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #19
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I can jump in mine right now at 23.5 degrees, fire it up and start driving with no issues whatsoever...junkyard TBI is a beautiful thing

I have a Carter BBD and can do that.
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
I have a Carter BBD and can do that.
Post a video, cold start to driving down the road...really, I would love to see it
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

in theory with a properly adjusted choke and well working carburetor, you should only have to push the throttle down once to set the choke and give it a shot of fuel into the manifold and it should fire fine after that. but thats in a perfict world and I think only my q-jet on my 83 c10 is the only carb that ive seen and still working that good even in temps below 0. My cj takes 2 pumps in the dead of cold.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It's nothing abnormal for carb'd engines to run just fine in cold weather. They did it for decades before FI, after all.

I crank mine for about 5 seconds, just to get the oil pressure up, before pushing the throttle to set the choke (thanks for that tip, 86 ). It fires almost instantly after that, and I can take off driving immediately with no problems.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #23
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I will say that there is not too much of my generation that grew up only knowing/owning carbureted engines or the fact of knowing how to tune carburetors for that matter. I do have a FI liberty and Z71 which I also work on myself but find myself driving the cj more than both combined for some reason when it wasn’t at the body shop. I think its the gas mileage which is an oxy moron but still beats the liberty and z71.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

I tap my accelerator twice part-way down to set the choke and give it a little gas and then hit the key and she fires right off every time. It starts idling at about 1850 RPM but I immediately tap the accelerator lightly again to drop it to about 1250 and can immediately drive off if I want, though just to reduce wear and let the engine warm up a little before putting a load on it I usually let it idle for about 30 seconds before I start to drive off.
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #25
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Post a video, cold start to driving down the road...really, I would love to see it
I have a ContourHD so I can do that tomorrow or the next day. We have ice on the ground today (not snow, pure ice) but it is supposed to get above freezing tomorrow.
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #26
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

This was a couple of winters ago. Right around 30* IIRC. To be honest, I don't think it would have mattered if it was 0*.

How far the choke plate pulls away upon start-up goes a long way towards having a carb that runs well cold so pay close attention to that measurement.

Shawn
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Yes, and something a lot of people do that is actually incorrect is they set their choke so that it's completely closed when you tap the accelerator when it's closed, sometimes even held closed very tightly. Then rely on the choke pull-off to open it up a little. My dad (50+ years Master Mechanic) has always said to set your choke so even when closed it's not really all the way closed, it still has about 1/8th of an inch gap, which your choke pull off will then pull open a little further. If you have it closed tightly it may be closed too tight and even when fully warm your choke may not have the movement to open it fully and during warm up it could take longer than it needs to in order to open it. I have always used that setting on every carburetor vehicle I have ever had and as long as everything else works properly that works great. Always starts right off and warms up properly being able to drive them as soon as they start if needed.
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #28
jrnewt
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Going to look into how to adjust the choke. Thanks gents! Much appreciated! Additionally, i found out the wrong fuel filter was installed (LONG story). Anyway, switched it out to the correct filter (making sure the return line is at 12 o'clock). Now, with the correct filter, 2 things are happening:

1. When i start it, it revs at a constant high rpm...as soon as i touch the gas though...it comes down to a lower idle.

2. When in 3 rd gear around 40 or 50 mph, it 's noticeably louder/revs are higher?

Still symptoms of a choke problem?
Number 1 is the way it is supposed to work. When you step on the gas to give it a little squirt, the choke closes and the stepper attached to it sets the throttle for starting. When you "blip" the throttle, the stepper resets and closes the throttle a bit. You will have increased throttle until the engine has warmed up enough.

I'm a bit suprised you can hear anything at 40 or 50... My thinking is that as long as it is running well at speed it's good...
jrnewt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

3rd gear and 50 mph has the engine turning at a fairly good clip. They do just roar at higher rpm. I have a fixed fan and high idle at 1800 or so sounds like an airplane warming up. Lol.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #30
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
This was a couple of winters ago. Right around 30* IIRC. To be honest, I don't think it would have mattered if it was 0*.

How far the choke plate pulls away upon start-up goes a long way towards having a carb that runs well cold so pay close attention to that measurement.

Shawn
Shawn, no question they will start start and run in idle mode with a properly adjusted choke and fast idle.

My experience is carbureted vehicles do not start up and run when cold without feathering the throttle to avoid hesitations or bogging due to moving from the choke/idle circuit to off-idle and the sudden intake of cold dense air until they warm up. That is not the case with FI and that is what I said earlier.

I was not lucky enough to own a fuel injected vehicle until '95 (MPFI) so that is right at 40 years of carburetors. Yes, I was driving cars and trucks on public roads when I was 9 and up to 900cc motorcycles by 12.

Carburetor's are antiquated, inefficient mixing boxes and no way is the driveability up to the the level of even throttle body injection.
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.