Warm up or she gets MAD! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Warm up or she gets MAD!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Hello. My CJ starts right up. BUT I NEED to do two things first before driving it:
1. Rev the engine for 30 seconds
2. Let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes. If i don't, she bucks like crazy!! Like she's super mad at me! : )

Even if its not that cold (i.e. 40 or 50 degrees)....i still need to do these steps...then it runs fine. It's my daily driver...so literally i do this at least twice a day...before and after work.

My question is: Does everyone have to thoroughly warm up their CJs because they otherwise drive like crap cold? I'm not complaining about having to do it....i LOVE my Jeep...and I realize she's old, has a carb, not the best ignition system (compared to new cars), etc. I only ask b/c i want to make sure this isn't an indicator that something else is wrong/breaking/needs adjusting (i had a bad intermittent stalling problem a few months ago).

1978 CJ7, V8 304. rebuilt MC2100, new: electric fuel pump, fuel tank, sending unit, ICM, plugs, wires, coil, distributor and cap, rotor, painless wiring harness.

Thanks! Jason

"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
seabass1858
CJ Literate

1983 CJ7 

I rebuilt my carb and mine did this when the choke diaphragm quit on me. I drove it like this for a week before i changed out the diaphragm and re adjusted it. it stopped after that. Maybe its something else but I can tell you the problem mine had and if i started driving immediately after it started and would come to a complete stop while it was cold, I would have to hold the accelerator pedal to keep the RPMS up or it would stall out.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Mine is temperamental as well. I have to let it warm up on the high idle circuit until the temp gauge reads normal operating temp. I think mine does it because the manifold heater isn't hooked up so it struggles more than it normally would on a chilly day......but that is just a SWAG.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978CJ7Beast View Post
Hello. My CJ starts right up. BUT I NEED to do two things first before driving it:
1. Rev the engine for 30 seconds
2. Let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes. If i don't, she bucks like crazy!! Like she's super mad at me! : )

Even if its not that cold (i.e. 40 or 50 degrees)....i still need to do these steps...then it runs fine. It's my daily driver...so literally i do this at least twice a day...before and after work.

My question is: Does everyone have to thoroughly warm up their CJs because they otherwise drive like crap cold? I'm not complaining about having to do it....i LOVE my Jeep...and I realize she's old, has a carb, not the best ignition system (compared to new cars), etc. I only ask b/c i want to make sure this isn't an indicator that something else is wrong/breaking/needs adjusting (i had a bad intermittent stalling problem a few months ago).

1978 CJ7, V8 304. rebuilt MC2100, new: electric fuel pump, fuel tank, sending unit, ICM, plugs, wires, coil, distributor and cap, rotor, painless wiring harness.

Thanks! Jason
Classic symptoms of a inop/mal-adjusted choke.
Do a search on how to check a and adjust it.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The choke can be maybe set a little richer, but yes mine all seemed to need to be '3 foot driven' until warmed up. Got tired of it so went with a manual cable choke. No more waits, it will drive off as soon as I want in any temperature.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
1983 CJ7 

I can jump in mine right now at 23.5 degrees, fire it up and start driving with no issues whatsoever...junkyard TBI is a beautiful thing

....and Matt shows up and tells me carburetors are gods greatest gift to gearheads around the world

243 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Found this on yahoo even though that don't make it credible lol...

"The rate at which the choke opens is critical. If the choke doesn't open quickly enough, especially during warm weather, the mixture becomes too rich and increases carbon monoxide emissions. On the other hand, if the choke comes off too quickly, especially during cold weather, the mixture can lean out causing the engine to stall or to stumble when the throttle is opened quickly."
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
....and Matt shows up and tells me carburetors are gods greatest gift to gearheads around the world
No, God's greatest gift is giving us all the ability to think for ourselves, and have our own opinions.

I've never had a problem driving mine at any temps. And, if I ever did, I'm pretty sure I could fix it with nothing but a screwdriver, not so much with FI.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
Found this on yahoo even though that don't make it credible lol...

"The rate at which the choke opens is critical. If the choke doesn't open quickly enough, especially during warm weather, the mixture becomes too rich and increases carbon monoxide emissions. On the other hand, if the choke comes off too quickly, especially during cold weather, the mixture can lean out causing the engine to stall or to stumble when the throttle is opened quickly."
This is true.

I've put winter and summer setting marks on my e-choke housing. It takes about about 30 seconds to make the adjustment.

Matt
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
This is true. I've put winter and summer setting marks on my e-choke housing. It takes about about 30 seconds to make the adjustment. Matt
Good idea!
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
1983 CJ7 

...just like clockwork Matt.

...carburetors are like stick bows, FI like compound bows, and what are you sticking your deer and elk with???
243 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
...just like clockwork Matt.

...carburetors are like stick bows, FI like compound bows, and what are you sticking your deer and elk with???
A broadhead.

Honestly, I suppose we could stick all the fancy gadgets and electronics of more modern vehicles on a CJ, and they'd probably make the rig more reliable. But then it wouldn't be a CJ.

To each his own. I'm a traditionalist at heart when it comes to my CJ, but I respect others right to different sediments.

Matt
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
...but I respect others right to different sediments.

Matt
I hate sediments, especially in a glass of fine scotch

Shawn
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #14
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Going to look into how to adjust the choke. Thanks gents! Much appreciated! Additionally, i found out the wrong fuel filter was installed (LONG story). Anyway, switched it out to the correct filter (making sure the return line is at 12 o'clock). Now, with the correct filter, 2 things are happening:

1. When i start it, it revs at a constant high rpm...as soon as i touch the gas though...it comes down to a lower idle.

2. When in 3 rd gear around 40 or 50 mph, it 's noticeably louder/revs are higher?

Still symptoms of a choke problem?
"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
I hate sediments, especially in a glass of fine scotch

Shawn
Damn auto-correct...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.