Wanted: Jeep CJ Dashboard CAD Files - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wanted: Jeep CJ Dashboard CAD Files

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Wanted: Jeep CJ Dashboard CAD Files

Looking for a CAD file (.dwg or .dxf) or a dimensioned print of a Jeep CJ Dash.

Here is Vers. 1.0, but I need to fix some problems:

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a flat panel, but help a poor boy out. I am looking to get more precision on the location and dimensions of the steering wheel and glove box cutouts in Ver. 2.0.

Thanks in advance.
TomH

Unread 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Well I can get a drawing turned around pretty quickly but I don't happen to have an idea of locations. jscherb might be able to supply me some of that since he banged one up for his CJ8. I'll drop him a line and see what we can shake out.

Since you are looking for a digital, is this going to be to guide a CNC? If so, supply me the layer names and parameters and I can get a machine ready DXF for you.

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman[/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Francis,

Thanks for the offer.

At this point Plan "A" is to use layout dye and hand transfer the holes to the blank with a ruler & scribe. With the original, I didn't have any reference points (WTF-J was a scratch build) and ran into some clearance issues behind the dash. (e.g. The rheostat behind the heater thermostat control was huge and arrived after I cut the original holes for it and the fan control. (Rosette welds to the rescue!)

If that doesn't work, Plan "B" will be to take it to a shop with a CNC plasma cutter, so I can't tell at this point what the target platform will be.
Unread 09-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Well the panel itself is simple, it's a rectangle with some bends and holes where you need them. Doing the parametric layout and attacking with a hole & jig saw is also not all that involved, just need coherent reference points for centers. Taking a layout drawing and producing a machine ready DXF from it is as simple as defining layers, migrating to layers and keeping the math under control. The shame of it is what the catalog companies charge for a blank dash given that all dash panels start off the same.

Look for something later today.

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

Unread 09-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAD_Cowboy View Post
... just need coherent reference points for centers.
Correct-a-mundo!
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

So based on my own dash and some basic measurements we get a shape that looks like this. I didn't have time to model the column cutout in detail so I just used it's envelope dimensions.

The panel returns are sized for 1/8" setback. I realized that I did not measure what the actual setback is so I guessed. This number is really up to you anyway based on how far offset you might like the panel to be. I have included the formula that you would use to calculate the stock to include. Given that we are using small radii on relatively thin sheet and only aiming for a small amount of setback; A uniform OA offset, shears, a soft hammer and a sharp edge piece of stock should allow you to hand stamp the setback.
jeep-dash.jpg  

Unread 09-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Gemelos
1976 CJ7 

i've got one in metric dimensions..
can send it by e-mail.

Grts
Gemelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttrack View Post
i've got one in metric dimensions..
can send it by e-mail.

Grts
Thanks. PM sent.
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
TRex

1979 CJ7 

I prefer to think of dead threads as "dormant"...

In any case, I'm in need of a dimensioned CAD plan for my CJ7 dash. If anyone has a .dwg or anything else that's usable, I would be very appreciative. I hope to send the modified plan off to the fabricator this week. Thanks!
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
TRex

1979 CJ7 

bump... anyone?
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
godfather901
1979 CJ5 

Not sure if I'm too late into this convo, but there is a CAD file for this at a website called trails less traveled - under their cad library, along with a tube bender design! I'd link it, but DoD computers are a little picky about copy and pasting unsigned links... Anyway the sites servers suck and ususally takes a few tries to get in but there's a bunch of CAD files for download there.
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
godfather901
1979 CJ5 

I've also downloaded the file myself, it will take quite a bit longer to get to you - but if you have trouble getting to the site let me know and I'll try to send it to you.
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed. Thank you, GodFather.

Here's a link for reference: CJ7 Dash CAD File (.dxf, .dwg)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.