Want To Build My First Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Want To Build My First Jeep

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Dementius88

Want To Build My First Jeep

Need Advice!! I am new and I searched the threads for something like what I am asking with no luck. Here is my situation. I have never had the priviledge of owning a jeep, but I want that to change. I want to restore or rebuild a Jeep. I have wanted to get into car restoration for a while and I figured why not combine two desires. I am not concerned about keeping it stock. I would like to get a model that does not require an ECM or BCM. I love the look of the CJ-7. I admit I am a shiny noob and am asking for some advice from you guys. I figure the first step is to find a the victim. I have never welded but consider myself very mechanicaly inclined. Price is an issue so I want to get the best deal as possible. Interested in a glass tub, but am not sure of prices. Frame and engine would be my next concerns but am not sure. Any help picking a victim would be greatly appreciated, and maybe some ideas where to find a steal!

Thank you in advance!

Dementius88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

First, I'd suggest determining how you want to use the Jeep. Is it a Daily Driver or Weekend Warrior etc...
Then you can start your search. You can find good deals where someone else already put the extras on it, and you can get for pennies on the dollar. Or you can get an original so you can enjoy the build a bit more (what I did).
Either way, you picked the right spot to hang out. Welcome!
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Dementius88

Thank you BioTex. I plan to use it more as a daily driver but with the ability to go a little off the beaten path. No monster truck tires but would like it to look a little beefy! I honestly do not commute far and it would be a third vehicle anyways. Everything I read says to look out for rust on body. When I look at stuff on ebay and craigslist, if it has bad rust its cheaper. How much do glass tubs run and are they better or worse than a solid steel tub?
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementius88 View Post
Need Advice!! I am new and I searched the threads for something like what I am asking with no luck. Here is my situation. I have never had the priviledge of owning a jeep, but I want that to change. I want to restore or rebuild a Jeep. I have wanted to get into car restoration for a while and I figured why not combine two desires. I am not concerned about keeping it stock. I would like to get a model that does not require an ECM or BCM. I love the look of the CJ-7. I admit I am a shiny noob and am asking for some advice from you guys. I figure the first step is to find a the victim. I have never welded but consider myself very mechanicaly inclined. Price is an issue so I want to get the best deal as possible. Interested in a glass tub, but am not sure of prices. Frame and engine would be my next concerns but am not sure. Any help picking a victim would be greatly appreciated, and maybe some ideas where to find a steal!

Thank you in advance!
I won't pee on your head and tell you it's raining...

You would be better off starting on a TJ or newer Jeep.

The reasoning is,
Everyone makes something for them, and it all pretty much works.
You wouldn't believe how much trouble the CJ guys have finding basic parts that aren't 'Import' junk.

TJ's have air conditioning, cruise control, stereos, high back comfortable seats, fuel injection, ect.

CJ's have Leaks, Squeaks, Rattles, things rusting off, dragging the ground, blowing up, ect.

If I didn't have a dozen CJ era Jeeps lying around here, I wouldn't do CJ's, just too much trouble...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

If you're staying away from PCM's, then the newest you'll be looking at will be '81 or so. You'll want the 258ci 4.2l I-6 or 304ci V8 under the hood. The Carter BBD carbs are problematic, so you'll be looking at an MC2100 carb swap for a low buck upgrade/improvement. Poke around the tech info at www.jeeptech.com to find out about the stock drivetrain offerings, pros, cons, how to ID them. '76-'79 you'll be looking at T-150 3-speed manual in most cases with the T-18 4-speed as an option and those would be backed with a Dana 20 t-case. Auto trans option for that vintage is an AMC-cased GM TH400 backed by a Borg-Warner full-time t-case (there's an optional low range and aftermarket part-time conversion kits). '80-'81 the trans offerings get weaker...T-176/177 4-speed is the only decent manual, auto would be the T-999 which is decent...Dana 300 t-case was the only offering in the 80's and is generally regarded as the best CJ t-case and has excellent aftermarket support. Front axle is the Dana 30 which is good to about a 33" tire without aftermarket upgrades...there's pros & cons to each vintage, but you'd be looking at narrow tracks in either case which provide a little less stability. Rear axle is the AMC 20...weak spots with that are the housing tubes (weld 'em up to the diff housing to keep them from spinning) and the 2-piece axle shafts, so a swap to aftermarket 1-piece alloy shafts is generally recommended...with that you can safely take that axle up to 35" tires.

It really boils down to what you want in the end and how much time & money you're willing to spend to get there. You're looking in the neighborhood of $4k to go fiberglass for a quality tub, mounting kit and incidentals. A used YJ tub makes for a good, budget friendly replacement.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I won't pee on your head and tell you it's raining...

You would be better off starting on a TJ or newer Jeep.

The reasoning is,
Everyone makes something for them, and it all pretty much works.
You wouldn't believe how much trouble the CJ guys have finding basic parts that aren't 'Import' junk.

TJ's have air conditioning, cruise control, stereos, high back comfortable seats, fuel injection, ect.

CJ's have Leaks, Squeaks, Rattles, things rusting off, dragging the ground, blowing up, ect.

If I didn't have a dozen CJ era Jeeps lying around here, I wouldn't do CJ's, just too much trouble...

I'd tell you the same thing if you weren't looking to get into restoration/restification without dealing with PCM/ECM's.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Dementius88

What you are saying about the TJ makes sense. Maybe it would be wiser for me to buy a basic TJ model and customize it. Then maybe later try a more challenging rebuild. Honestly, the AC is a concern I forgot about. Thank you all very much for your advice!
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Amen brother!!!!! But I got mine done!

Quote:
My CJ has all of that, but I ripped out the cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Bottom line is that if you have tons of disposable cash and lot's of patience, go for the classic CJ. But if I was in your shoes, I'd go for the TJ or even the LJ. The LJ is the longer version of the TJ. Longer wheelbase and more storage.

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Cherokeester
1980 CJ7 

Ahhh... Buy a CJ and be an owner of true vehicle history! Nothing turns heads like a nicely built CJ.
Cherokeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i almost hate to be advocating this in the CJ tech forum, but if i were to do it over again i'd probably buy a YJ and put a CJ front clip on it (hood, grill fenders). the pros would be the better leaf springs, nice wide axles, possibly a FI 4.0, and a galvanized tub. i'd also have to put a CJ dash in it too, dont much like the plastic look of the YJ one.

do a search on YJ tub swap or check out the sticky on it for some great info.
Renegade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
Dementius88

I must say, this is the best forum I have ever participated in! Thank all of you for your information. I have been looking online as some YJ's and TJ's and found that they have very reasonable prices. This would probably be the best way ease me into the Jeep world. Thank you all again.
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

If you do decide to go the CJ route, then #1 priority is to find a solid frame. As others have mentioned, if you come across a project somebody else has started on and can't finish it, you can usually get a decent deal on it.
Unread 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Wow is this the cj forum? If you buy a tj you will learn nothing about restoration. Pop the hood and nothing but wires and sensors and tubes. Cjs are like an abusive girlfriend, you give all your love and money, they usally let you down. But when its good, its real good. I love my cj but I guess I like abuse. Go for it
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJunk View Post
Cjs are like an abusive girlfriend, you give all your love and money, they usally let you down. But when its good, its real good. I love my cj but I guess I like abuse.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Thanks for the laugh - that's funny stuff right there.

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.