Want to add a coolant overflow tank.... Help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Want to add a coolant overflow tank.... Help...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Want to add a coolant overflow tank.... Help...

Decided I want to add a coolant overflow tank to my 77 CJ5. Besides the tank, some hose, and the correct radiator cap, what all do it need? How do I know if I have the right rad cap already?

Seems like a simple enough process... Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

i believe if you buy the kit it will come with the radiator cap you need.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx View Post
Decided I want to add a coolant overflow tank to my 77 CJ5. Besides the tank, some hose, and the correct radiator cap, what all do it need? How do I know if I have the right rad cap already?

Seems like a simple enough process... Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Simple as you say!
The cap should be around 16 lb.
It will be listed on the cap.
If you have a much lower cap installed now, you may have some leak issues when you change it.
Some folks run lower pressure caps and some run higher.
The higher pressure will help not to boil at higher temps.
Are you installing am OEM style overflow?
If you are make sure that the hose goes down fully to the bottom of the tank so it can draw in coolant as well as vent it.
If you are installing an aftermarket tank, make sure that the hose goes to a port on the bottom of the tank.

Hope that helps!
Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

my 1984 jeep came with a radiator recovery tank, but it was gone when I got the jeep along with many other parts.

I got a replacement tank from Quadratec jeep parts: good place to shop for parts

part # 51216.03 this tank is made for my model, but it might fit yours for $21.99

after review 3 places said your cap should be a 16 psi cap.

but, you are going to have to check, there may be difference in a system that came with a recovery tank and a system that did not come with a recovery tank.

that psi cap may not let the coolant flow to the tank????????????????

my 1984 came with a recovery tank, might check with your parts dealer and see what psi a 1984 model came with, as I do not remember the cap psi of my jeep.

my truck is one number, jeep another and old tractor is another.

not a number I keep in the back of my mine.

good thing to install if you have small children and pets roaming around where you part the old jeep
as my old jeep would puke up some green coolant from time to time before the recovery tank was installed.

do not know why, but I understand kids and pets love the sweet taste of the coolant

if so they can make med taste like crap, why can they not make coolant taste like crap.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax View Post
my 1984 jeep came with a radiator recovery tank, but it was gone when I got the jeep along with many other parts.

I got a replacement tank from Quadratec jeep parts: good place to shop for parts

part # 51216.03 this tank is made for my model, but it might fit yours for $21.99

after review 3 places said your cap should be a 16 psi cap.

but, you are going to have to check, there may be difference in a system that came with a recovery tank and a system that did not come with a recovery tank.

that psi cap may not let the coolant flow to the tank????????????????

my 1984 came with a recovery tank, might check with your parts dealer and see what psi a 1984 model came with, as I do not remember the cap psi of my jeep.

my truck is one number, jeep another and old tractor is another.

not a number I keep in the back of my mine.

good thing to install if you have small children and pets roaming around where you part the old jeep
as my old jeep would puke up some green coolant from time to time before the recovery tank was installed.

do not know why, but I understand kids and pets love the sweet taste of the coolant

if so they can make med taste like crap, why can they not make coolant taste like crap.
16psi is close to standard for most automotive applications but some will be lower or higher.
It will let the coolant overflow to the recovery tank.
It will just hold it in until 16psi instead of lower pressure increasing the boiling point of the water coolant mixture.
Most companies now add a bitter tasting chemical to coolant for just that reason of animals drinking it.

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Awesome! Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'll be tackling this as soon as parts get here.

Thanks again.
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

One question that just donned on me ... Does it matter how high/ low I mount the new coolant tank in respect to the radiator?

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

the one on my 1984 is just below the top of the radiator on the backside of the front left fender.

do not know if it makes a difference in height or not, I just installed the new tank in the exact same hole location the old one was located.

all I know is that it works great, no more burping coolant onto the driveway, therefore I do not have to worry about my coolant level and add to it from time to time.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

tank height relative to the radiator shouldn't shouldn't matter as the inflow/outflow from the tank is due to the pressure difference between the radiator and tank. As mentioned, the stock setup has the tank top a little lower than the radiator as the tank is mounted to the driver side fender well.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Of you cap looks like this one you don't need another.
image-98614839.jpg

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Thanks guys .... Think I'll be ordering my set up this afternoon. Working on the front end of the week, so it should come in just when I'll be home. Thanks again for all the comments. ... Just more reasons why I love this place!

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here is the factory tank and location.
image-1129869118.jpg

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Here is the factory tank and location.
THANKS! That's a really helpful picture! That tells me exactly where it needs to go. Thanks, man...

-Scott

Unread 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
54willysjeep
1954 CJ3B 

I have a 54 CJ3B I do not believe mine came with one. I have a hose running down the side of the radiator. I would like to install one so if it does overheat or overflow I don't have coolant all over the ground. I know they make authentic ones that go on the outside of the grill but they are quite expensive. but they do look cool though.
54willysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

I used to have a '49 CJ2A but I didn't get as far as the engine when I was working on it. I ran out of moneu and sold it to a good home ... someone that could actually work on it. I've seen plenty 'a coolant tanks for $150+ ... the chrome/ aluminum ones, but one of the $20 plastic ones is going to do the job for me.

-Scott

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.