waiting on my 82 Renegade - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > waiting on my 82 Renegade

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #31
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksdiner View Post
Lol yeah I screwed that up. Ty
No worries! That thread is what caught my interest in your situation in the first place. That's what we are all here for, to help and to get helped.
Just keep in mind a couple simple things when looking at ads... No plates is usually a good one, an ultra low price for a cherry-looking rig, the "OMG gotta go now" type sales, something listed in your area/state that the seller says will be shipped from another state directly to you, ANY kind of "inspection period", and an obscure email in the text of the ad itself. There are a few others that other people can name off as well. I seriously think we need to start a thread about Trolling Scammers...

Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #32
nicksdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post

No worries! That thread is what caught my interest in your situation in the first place. That's what we are all here for, to help and to get helped.
Just keep in mind a couple simple things when looking at ads... No plates is usually a good one, an ultra low price for a cherry-looking rig, the "OMG gotta go now" type sales, something listed in your area/state that the seller says will be shipped from another state directly to you, ANY kind of "inspection period", and an obscure email in the text of the ad itself. There are a few others that other people can name off as well. I seriously think we need to start a thread about Trolling Scammers...

That ad was on carsforsale.com. I immediately called them and it now no longer exists on that site. They emailed me back and said they will look out and follow up on that pos. Anywho I will never hold back on asking questions and prying as much as I can, I consider myself lucky. And great idea on the sticky. Thanks again boys
nicksdiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #33
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Other than the obvious, e.g. "I'm deploying, I've deployed..." "I'm out of the country but can deliver the Jeep..." You can catch them by asking subtle questions - questions they won't see as a trap, e.g. "Do the power windows still work?" "Do you have the power door lock remote?" I actually had a scammer answer yes to that first question: "Yes, all equipment is in working order" Yep. Scam.
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
nicksdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
Other than the obvious, e.g. "I'm deploying, I've deployed..." "I'm out of the country but can deliver the Jeep..." You can catch them by asking subtle questions - questions they won't see as a trap, e.g. "Do the power windows still work?" "Do you have the power door lock remote?" I actually had a scammer answer yes to that first question: "Yes, all equipment is in working order" Yep. Scam.
That's a good heads up there. Obviously I'm new at this I've always bought new but like I said I've always loved to CJ's I currently own a Jeep but I don't think its this forums cup of tea. I must say I feel at home here.
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #35
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksdiner View Post
That's a good heads up there. Obviously I'm new at this I've always bought new but like I said I've always loved to CJ's I currently own a Jeep but I don't think its this forums cup of tea. I must say I feel at home here.
While a JK is no CJ, all that trash talking is generally good-natured. Kinda like inter-service rivalries. Unless you're in the Army, with the standard-issue chip on your shoulder...

All Jeep owners should be welcome in any of the sub-forums, without regards to what they prefer to wheel.
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #36
nicksdiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post

While a JK is no CJ, all that trash talking is generally good-natured. Kinda like inter-service rivalries. Unless you're in the Army, with the standard-issue chip on your shoulder...

All Jeep owners should be welcome in any of the sub-forums, without regards to what they prefer to wheel.
Good to know. I have a feeling Mr L Grits don't wanna hear nothing about no JK. Lol
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #37
7CJ5White6
1976 CJ5 

hey hey lets not knock on the Army.....I've been doing this Army gig for 17 years know. Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. From all my deployments I've spent time with people from all the services. The only good people in the Navy are the Seabees and the Marines (yes the Marines are part of the Navy) and for the Air Force the JTacs are my boys. But I'm a red leg so its all good.
7CJ5White6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CJ5White6 View Post
hey hey lets not knock on the Army.....I've been doing this Army gig for 17 years know. Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. From all my deployments I've spent time with people from all the services. The only good people in the Navy are the Seabees and the Marines (yes the Marines are part of the Navy) and for the Air Force the JTacs are my boys. But I'm a red leg so its all good.
Yes, I'll admit that we Marines are a part of the Navy. The fighting part.
You are old-Army. Have you actually tried to hold a conversation with the "new" Army? Those kids all full of hooahs and roger-that's... That crap makes me SICK. Anyway, you know I'm teasing. Then again, if a Soldier had thicker skin, he'd have joined the Marines instead! (Kidding!)
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #39
7CJ5White6
1976 CJ5 

The army allowed me to pick my job. The marines said they'd pick one for me. Hummmm wonder which I wanted to do?

Yea most all (99%) kids think they are owed something before they even do any work. It drives me crazy. I'd hem them up in a heart beat when I was a battery commander.
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #40
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CJ5White6 View Post
The army allowed me to pick my job. The marines said they'd pick one for me. Hummmm wonder which I wanted to do?

Yea most all (99%) kids think they are owed something before they even do any work. It drives me crazy. I'd hem them up in a heart beat when I was a battery commander.
I got to pick my job too...
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
79CJ7dude
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksdiner
I can't wait I currently own a jk but I've always wanted a CJ and now I got one . Should be here by the end of next week, what do you all think? Amc 360 with cam ,double Holley carburetor, headers and completely rebuilt.
Very nice!
79CJ7dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #42
79CJ7dude
1979 CJ7 

Oh coarse I read the rest of the thread now...
79CJ7dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #43
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CJ7dude View Post
Very nice!
Um, no... Read the whole thread...
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #44
nicksdiner

Ok well since I did such a hack job on this thread I might as well run with it. You guys saved my *** from a blatant scam so your input is valuable to me. As most of you know I am looking for a CJ and it must have a v8. Original is nice but I am flexible as long as it looks original and

imagejpeg950.jpg

done right so here it is 1982 cj5. Whatta you think. And by the way it is not a make believe jeep it is sitting at a dealership.
1614818644784085841_8-1.jpeg

1614818644784085841_3.jpeg

1614818644784085841_2-1.jpeg

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #45
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksdiner
Ok well since I did such a hack job on this thread I might as well run with it. You guys saved my *** from a blatant scam so your input is valuable to me. As most of you know I am looking for a CJ and it must have a v8. Original is nice but I am flexible as long as it looks original and

done right so here it is 1982 cj5. Whatta you think. And by the way it is not a make believe jeep it is sitting at a dealership.

This '5 looks clean from the pics, but I would certainly want to lay eyes on it before handing over cash.

Even though this CJ looks good in the pics, a lot can be hiding under that lip stick red paint and selective photography.

It's not common for 'restored' CJ's to be sitting at Dealerships for-sale either. To me, that would be a red flag. Even though this one appears to have a lot of crown parts, they still add up quick and whoever flipped the bill to get this one 'freshened' up probably sank a small fortune in it (like all of us have), so I have a tough time thinking that he would take it to a Dealership and trade it in (for pennies on the dollar, as a Dealership only entertains KBB values - they do not consider aftermarket parts for trade-in value). If he tried to sell it privately first, I would ask myself why it didn't sell. Only other way the Dealership would've bought it is at a whole-sale auction, which again, I would question the CJ's history/condition. Perhaps it belongs to the owner and he is advertising it through the Dealership though...

Have you ever riden in, or drove a '5? If not, I recommend that you do so prior to buying one. They are shorter wheelbase than a '7, which means less storage room in the backseat area. Also, depending on your size, some people have a difficult time getting in and up of them, as well as leg room. You can 'notch' the rear fender to create a few more inches, but I doubt you would want to cut up a CJ like you're looking for.

That rubber fuel line laying on the header would/should be re-routed immediately too.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.