Voltage problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Voltage problem

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
ChrisCarlock
1982 CJ7 

Voltage problem

I replaced my alternator, belt, and all pulleys are good. My ground is good.

My volt meter drops as I turn on accessories and then my belt begins to squeal when not under load. Could this be my battery? Gauge flickers with blinker

ChrisCarlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Tighten your belt more.

I usually tighten Grammys to the point that I turn on all the accessories at once and don't get the belt squeal. Anything tighter then that is prematurely wearing out your alt bearings.

Don't go by the factory volt meter. The meter is sensing its voltage through the ignition switch. And on our CJ's all the electrician load goes through one set of contacts and it drops a lot of voltage.

I ran a wire directly from the battery to the cigarette lighter and use a volt meter for the cig lighter from innova its a lot more accurate then the gauge on the dash.

I also set my idle so I see 13v with all the accessories on. Lights, heater fan, etc.
image-4190580978.jpg

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Check your belts again, they wear on the sides and a ridge forms. Eventually the base of the belt contacts the pulley and you start to lose grip, hence they start to squeal even though they are tensioned and look fine.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
ChrisCarlock
1982 CJ7 

My belt is on there nice and tight and I still have the problem. I'll try setting idle higher
ChrisCarlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Get a new belt
LG
Unread 12-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Get a new belt
LG
X2, and I would make it the groved belt, they get more traction than smooth belts thus extending bearing life. If the sides of the pulleys are worn, no new belt or any amount of tention will fix it. The belt (new or used) should set at the top of the pulley, not sunk into the v slot of it.
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

hey 1981 cj5, nice to see another oklahoman on here. i was beggining to think i was the only one haha
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakescj7 View Post
hey 1981 cj5, nice to see another oklahoman on here. i was beggining to think i was the only one haha
Well I stop in from time to time, to many interestes and not enuf time or money for them. Do you get to TOR (Tulsa Off Road) several locals there, and local events posted, etc. Oh ya Tulsa is just outside of Oakhurst, with way more rules! You are not alone!!
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

havent heard of it. ill look into it.
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
mrpete
1981 CJ7 

Possibly when the alternator was changed, the new one had a narrower groove width pulley. On my '81, the PO changed the alt. and the belt sticks out of the groove. It slips and squeals sometimes. I am restoring my Jeep and am going to a 1/2" wide pulley. The pulley on mine is currently 3/8".
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

While tightness is important, IF the belt is running on the bottom of the v-grove in the pulley, you can't get it tight enough.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

That was going to be my next question John...

Does the sides of your pulley bow out and not have a straight 'V' in it anymore? If so, time for a new pulley.
Does the belt bottom out in the pulley? If so, time for a new, or wider belt.

If you are worried about wearing out an alternator bearing, then you don't have the problems with a CJ that I do!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If the bottom of the groove is shiny the belt is riding too low and the shive/ pulley should be replaced. Or the belt is the wrong profile.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Check your connection where your alternator cable meets the solenoid. This is also where the red, 12v chassis supply cable is present. An easy way to do this is see if the connection gets hot after only a few moments. If it does get hot then I suggest re-terminating them with a crimped wet/solder connection. I had the same problem on my CJ5 and have never had another voltage problem since re-terminating that connection. I also did the JeepHammer battery cable upgrade at the same time. It's very amazing how a CJ acts when you feed her a proper 12v and ground.
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Also don't rely on the volt meter as a accurate I indication of battery voltage.

All the electrical load goes through 1 set of contacts in the ignition switch. That also goes to the volt meter. That sense wire is comprised by a high load and poor contact.

I ran a wire directly from the battery to the cigarette lighter. And use a volt meter that plugs into it.

Its from Walmart. Cost around 10 dollars.

As JH said to me once. If it constantly ran at 12.5 volts the battery would be dead by now. And it wasn't.
image-4102336872.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.