Voltage drop at coil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Voltage drop at coil?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
motoxxxguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Voltage drop at coil?

Here's a strange problem I've never seen before, maybe someone can help me out here...

The 12+ wire going to the pos. terminal on the ignition coil is dropping from 12 volts to about 6.5 volts when connected. When not connected to the coil, there is a full 12 volts in the wire, but as soon as I connect the wire to the coil (which I just replaced as well), the voltage drops to 6.5V, not nearly enough to get any spark from.

Has anyone ever seen this before, and where should I start looking for the problem? i have never sen anything like this before!

-moto

Unread 03-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
motoxxxguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nevermind, I figured it out!

Last edited by motoxxxguy; 03-26-2004 at 08:01 PM..
motoxxxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2004, 10:42 PM   #3
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxguy
Nevermind, I figured it out!

Were you checking voltage on the negative terminal after you hooked the POs wire up? for whatever reason you were doing this test, did you unhook the negative wire before testing voltage? I'm curious to know what you came up with....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.