voltage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > voltage

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-18-2004, 07:48 AM   #1
MudMonster

voltage

is it normal to have voltage drops when the engine comes down from high RPMs to idle (proably a little below from the sound of it).

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
MudLover

yup. Happened in my Jeep and happens in the Cougar now (and it's got a brand new Alternator).

Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Along the same lines, I've been wondering if there is an alternator with a little higher output that I could buy. Between my stereo system, H4 headlights, and blazer blower motor, my alternator is really struggling. With all of that going full blast, it dips down to about 10 volts.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
MudMonster

i just put one in from alterstart, its nice.....

[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
Unread 03-18-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
CJ-5

Delco

Delco makes a 130 amp. you may have to wire it in and fab a bracket, but this is the alt that was used in the late 70's cars that had all the bells and whistles. Air was the big power draw, cause the blower and clutch. Then they added automatic driving lights...... the list goes on, but that is the alternator that I would recomend. AND they are internally regulated too.
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2004, 07:38 AM   #6
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonster
is it normal to have voltage drops when the engine comes down from high RPMs to idle (proably a little below from the sound of it).
Yes. If your regulator (onboard or not) is not operating within specs, you will see exaggerated fluctuations in voltage output as your gauge/multimeter realizes a more directly proportional relationship between RPM and the Alternator's cycle. Your regulator's job is to feed exactly (or as close to it as possible) the same amount of voltage no matter what the relationship to RPM and the alternator's output is, and then balance the charge against the relative charge on the battery so it doesn't overcharge and kill the battery over a long period of time.
Unread 03-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
MudMonster

well thats nice but the alternator is brand new from alterstart, which has a lifetime warrenty, its quality

Unread 03-19-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
CJ-5

regulator

have the regulator checked. Did you polarize the alt and reg when you hooked them togather ??
Unread 03-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #9
MudMonster

the regulator is internal

Unread 03-19-2004, 07:48 PM   #10
CJ-5

oops

Okay, so stroke that one off the to do list.
have the alt tested, I know you said it's new and it's quality, but go the mile.
you could have a short or a ground somewhere, also load test the battery, just for kicks. I've had a batt with 2 dead cells, and I had some real wonky stuff goin on. Turned out to be the batt
Unread 03-20-2004, 06:38 AM   #11
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

I second CJ-5!

I agree with CJ-5... I would swap batteries and see if the situation changed. Testing a battery is NOT reliable unless you have access to a "Solid State" battery tester.

My recommedation is to go ahead and invest in one of the NICE new sealed batteries. A NAPA Orbital brand or an Optima brand is an excellent battery and you will never have to worry about corrosion again either!

Bruce from West LA (Lower Arkansas)
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
MudMonster

the battery thing occured to me, that some of the plates could be dead, so i went to Autozone and had em hook up their testing gear, they said everything checked out normal, the alt was fine, and the batt was fine. but the girl who did it was real condecending and in a voice that insinuated that i was an absolute moron she said "well does it start right up?" uhh yeah "well unless it doesnt start dont worry about it, then bring it back to us and we'll takke care of it for you" I was NOT HAPPY at that point as you can imagine.

Unread 03-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #13
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Alto Zone?

Auto Zone? Do you know what sort of training those folks have? Go ahead, ASK them! I would not take that "test" for the last word.

Bruce from West LA
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #14
MudMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountry
Auto Zone? Do you know what sort of training those folks have? Go ahead, ASK them! I would not take that "test" for the last word.

Bruce from West LA
OOOOHHH believe me i know!!!!

So would the battery cause this stuff???

Unread 03-22-2004, 05:39 AM   #15
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Yes the battery can cause this stuff !

If your battery has a bad cell or two, it can't hold full voltage.
When decelerating and drawing a heavy current you will see the results in the meter.
Voltage Meters reflect the voltage in the battery not what is coming out of the alternator.

As suggested, a load test will reflect a bad call condition and have the alternator tested just to be sure.
This will give you a starting point.

Putting in a new battery before doing a test, is throwing money away and may result in damaging the new battery because the alternator may have a bad ground or shorted inside.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.