voltage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > voltage

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
albecker
1981 CJ7 

voltage

I have been having problems with my voltage and cranking on my 1981 CJ7. I installed a new battery, solenoid, starter, and alternator, which fixed the cranking problem, but now whenever the engine bogs down the volt meter will go to zero the radio, dash lights and sometime even the headlights will go out. As soon as I race the engine the volts come back and everything else. Could I have gotten a bad alternator? Would welcome any suggestions. Thanks,

albecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
raperfam
1977 CJ7 

check all your grounds first!!!
raperfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Go to Zero? That's a big drop. You have a poor connection someplace. Maybe a bad cable or crimp.

I would pull apart all the terminal connections and inspect them for loose or corroded contacts. Check from the starter solenoid to the firewall from the firewall to the ignition switch from the ignition switch to the fuse box. Look for loose connections, corroded wires, Overheating.

Next time you have a failure, attach one lead of a DVM to the POS (+) on the battery. Run the other test lead down the wire. Any place you have any voltage showing is a bad connection and needs to be fixed. If it really goes to Zero, you could probably use a test light. A DVM wll give you a better look at poor connections.

Wires are made up of many strands of wire and you only need 1 strand for voltage but all of them to carry enough current.

And yes check your grounds, they are part of the circuit also.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like your major leads from the battery are knackered, either teh connectors themselves or the cables are corroded. cheap and eaily available generic cables will transform your electrics.
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.