Volt meter wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Volt meter wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Volt meter wiring

I am installing an after market voltmeter in my CJ. Using the great links that Mike Romian has on his posts, confirmed that the yellow positive wire and a black negative wire.

I note that the black wire is attached so that it is grounded to the dash via one of the studs through the mounting bracket holding the gauge in the dash and am sure that factory.

My question:

With my new install, I am grounding to a central point under the dash and was considering NOT using the OEM black wire for my new voltmeter. The current OEM gauge does not need that wire as noted above, the gauge is grounded to the dash. Was it installed from the factory to run as a ground from the dash to something else needing a ground? If I do not use that wire, will it eliminate a ground to something else that would not have one otherwise?

h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The dash itself is a lousy ground. Running a ground wire to the bolt holding the meter in is a good idea. The wire is likely for that reason.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The dash itself is a lousy ground. Running a ground wire to the bolt holding the meter in is a good idea. The wire is likely for that reason.

Thanks Mike
I had already run a dedicated ground from the negative side of the battery to the dash and connecting those things needing one[a ground] to that central ground.

Sorry for misspelling your name, and sorry in advance as I will likely do it again, my curse.

I appreciate your contribution to this forum.
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Instead of running directly to the battery neg post. It might be better to run to your frame or fender well ground.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakai81 View Post
Instead of running directly to the battery neg post. It might be better to run to your frame or fender well ground.
Thanks, good advise.
As a matter of convince, my GPS and CB are powered off a cigarette lighter. Yea, I know that is not the best, but redoing the GPS would be a major pain. My problem then was that I had a background buzz in my CB and every time I started the engine, my GPS would have to reset taking time to find satellites, and breaking the "tracking record".

I ran no. 10 wire direct from my battery (both +&-) to my lighter power, so I already have that no 10 ground wire under the dash. No buzz, no re-starts on the GPS. I already have a central fire wall ground.
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakai81 View Post
I am up in the rust belt and fenders for sure are flaky grounds with the frames not fairing much better with all the rust flakes and scale. We usually use a dedicated buss for grounds right off the battery. Less pain in the butt in the long run up here. Makes for better/cleaner CB too as mentioned.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Cool, good idea Mike. Any method that keeps noise out of the CB will definatly be looked into by me.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.