volt meter reading 18 volts ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > volt meter reading 18 volts ?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
RangerOne
1978 CJ7 

volt meter reading 18 volts ?

I just installed a new autometer volt meter in my CJ. When I turn on the switch the meter is reading 18 volts. Im also having trouble with either the brain box or the coil burning up I dont know witch one it is. I tested the battery and its reading 12 volts. Any ideas

RangerOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
chainz
1976 CJ5 

Where is your voltmeter sensing voltage from? It should be at a source that is powered up by the ignition switch. If you are indeed getting 18 volts than that pretty much means your voltage regulator is full fielding the alternator which means overcharging the battery. What you do to check that is start the jeep and check voltage at the output of the alternator that charges the battery if it is 18 volts than you more than likely need a new regulator. And I would not drive the jeep if it were mine and putting out 18 volts your battery will be toast in no time which would also explain why your electronics are going out is too much volts.
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Bad meter is my first thought. It can't magically create 6 volts with just the switch on.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post
I just installed a new autometer volt meter in my CJ.

When I turn on the switch the meter is reading 18 volts.
When you mean you turn the ignition switch 'ON'...
Is that with the engine running, or NOT running?

If your volt meter jumps to 18 volts when the engine IS NOT running, but the switch is in the 'RUN' position,
Then you have a bad gauge.

If the volts are around 12 when the engine is 'Off' but the switch is in the 'RUN' position,
THEN it jumps up to around 18 volts when you start the engine,
That means the alternator is shot and the voltage regulator isn't doing it's job.

Quote:
Im also having trouble with either the brain box or the coil burning up I dont know witch one it is.
Which is it?

Either the coil is what needs replaced, the two aren't interchangeable,

And when you say 'Brain Box',
Do you mean the ignition module or the timing computer?

Usually the only way to kill a coil is to leave the ignition switch in the 'Run' position too long without engine running,
Or to NOT have sufficient 'Ground' to the engine heads.

Lack of 'Ground' to the module will make it act strange and eventually burn the module up.

Quote:
I tested the battery and its reading 12 volts. Any ideas
Start with taking a battery voltage reading after the vehicle sits a couple of days.
Make sure you note down EXACTLY what the voltage was,
Then start the engine, let it run 10 minutes or so,
Then take the voltage at the battery again.

If your battery voltage starts below 12.2 volts, you have a problem with the battery.

If the voltage gets above 14.7 volts, you have a problem with the alternator/voltage regulator.

With the engine turned 'Off',
Take a RESISTANCE reading between the alternator case and the battery negative terminal.
If you show any resistance more than an Ohm or two,
You need to install a dedicated ground wire between battery negative terminal and alternator case.

Start the engine, and do the same resistance test between alternator and negative battery terminal.
If your resistance goes up, then you need a larger, more direct connection between alternator case and battery terminal...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.