Volt Meter Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Volt Meter Issue

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Kirks
1977 CJ5 

Volt Meter Issue

Just installed a new Auto Meter volt meter. When I turn the blower motor or the head lights on with the jeep running the volt meter drops clear to the left. Could I have a bad ground. Jeep had a volt meter in it I used the same wires. The only reason I replaced it the needle was off.

Kirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Take a DVM and check the voltage at the voltmeter.

It could be a case of a really bad wiring harness.
It could be a bad ground also. If the ground was bad there could be a voltage drop across the ground messing with the volt meter.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Kirks
1977 CJ5 

I should have mentioned that it reads 13.8vkey on not running and 15v running.
Unread 10-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Just fixed the same problem with mine, it turned out to be a bad ground to the meter. New ground, and all was better.

Good luck!

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Kirks
1977 CJ5 

[QUOTE="dg6772"]Just fixed the same problem with mine, it turned out to be a bad ground to the meter. New ground, and all was better. Good luck! Dave in Muskegon[/QUOTE

Took me several weeks to get it checked out. It indeed was a poor ground. When I replaced the gage I used the same ground but further checking revealed the fact that the other end was not properly grounded.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.