VIN number enquiry - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > VIN number enquiry

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-23-2003, 05:10 AM   #1
David Sant

VIN number enquiry

Hi all,
I have been restoring a 1986 CJ7 for the past five years, then today I finally took it for the vehicle roadworthiness test. Everything went well, until the operator went to verify the VIN number. When I showed him the VIN plate on the bulkhead, he told me that it was not enough and that I should have a number punched into the chassis someplace. Since I live on the tiny island of Malta (middle of the Mediterranean Sea) and there are only about four CJ7s around, no one seems to know where this number is (or whether there is one at all). Meanwhile, the CJ is back in the garage and I am despairing.
I would immensely appreciate any help possible to be able to solve this matter.
Mainly, I need to know whether there is any number anywhere else apart from the VIN plate on the bulkhead, and if so it's location. Also if there is no other number, where might I obtain some document or letter to prove this?
I appreciate any help and advice your may offer me.

Thanks
David

David Sant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2003, 05:27 AM   #2
Popol

oh boy do i sympathise with you, I live in Ibiza, there are maybe 5 cars here like mine (CJ7) and we too have a really hard road test, mine is due soon and i am struggling to get parts here, everything has to be ordered in, even a thermostat. There is a jeep garage on the island, but so far havent been able to source a single component.

As to your vin number, mine is 13 digits..

something like J9A93EH12345

That as far as I know should be something similar to yours, its location i cant remember, I will have a look tonight when i get home, but I am sure these people here will answer you before that, they are very helpful and knowledgeable indeed.

I wish you the best, I am in the same boat as you!.
Popol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2003, 07:11 AM   #3
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

on some of the jeeps there is numbers stamped on top of the frame at the rear wheel if it helps any
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2003, 12:31 AM   #4
Crash&Burn

I can't say about a 86......but just finished a tub changeout on a 79 and saw no numbers on the frame, cleaned it down to bare metal and repainted so I'm sure I didn't miss anything......

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2003, 02:19 AM   #5
sampson9dk

Popal...good luck with that Jeep. I read your other posts and I wouldnt want to be in your shoes with so few resources. Ive learned that you pretty much have to replace just about everything on a Jeep to make it a reliable vehicle. Fortunately the internet is full of info. I read everything I can find...trust me you will need to learn all you can about Jeep repairs and modifications. Just some advice...I bought most of my parts on ebay. Ebay is full of used and obscure Jeep parts. Be sure they will ship outside of the US before you bid but you will find all you need at a fraction of the price.
Dave K
85 CJ7
sampson9dk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #6
CoryB

On my 1984 CJ7, the last 6 or 7 digits of the VIN were stamped on the top of the frame rail over the passenger side rear wheel. You'd need a body lift and a mirror to be able to see them though.

Other than that, there were no numbers anywhere else on the frame.

You should have a VIN tag on the firewall, and another one visible through the windshield on the wiper mounting bracket. I believe those were the only places that the VIN was located on a late CJ.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.