VIN Number - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > VIN Number

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-27-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
kyp

VIN Number

I was recently given a 1969 Jeep.
My father gave it to me, its not in bad condidion it runs but i want to restore it. On the Tittle it showea a VIN number of
What type of Jeep is this? The Tittle doesnt give a description it just says "Jeep"

I want to make this jeep a real eye opener with a lot of eye candy! Any suggestions will be a great help.
Also it has a 4cyl. engine, what type of engine is this and can i put something else in it that will give it more power and a little better gas milage?

Please give me all youe suggestions, here on the forum or by e-mail ksnormand@yahoo.com

Unread 08-31-2002, 11:14 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The first 4 numbers are the key. 8305 indicates it is a CJ5. As for a stronger motor, The Buick 225 V6 is the ticket. With HP/torque numbers equal to the 304, and 20+ MPG, this STOCK motor goes in with a minium of hassle. They are getting a little hard to find but are worth the effort. With any engine upgrade, you will want to take a serous look at the trans. The T90 is weak behind anything making power as is the 27A front axle(a powr lok will fix most of that). As for upgrades, UPGRADED BRAKES!!!, POWER STEERING conversion,rear tank(if not equiped). Note, when you get this killer home, there are some things to check. Check for cracks around the spring hangers. The rear body mounts are prone to seperate from the body, lousy brakes,and sloppy(worn) steering. PS congrats. on owning one of the last of the "short wheelbase" CJ5's.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2002, 04:23 PM   #3
antman

Jeepdaddy;

What came with that buick v6 anyway ?
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2002, 04:31 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

65 to 71 CJ5's.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 03:56 PM   #5
77-levi_CJ-5

I had a 67 Jeepster commando with this little gem in it as well. It was unbelievable the torque this little engine had. I pulled the front bumper right off of a buick skylark when a friend and I were messing around. (I was 17) He said that he stomped on the brakes and I just kept pulling. I did not even feel him apply the brakes, but I felt the bumper give way. Oh the days when you could be young and stupid.

Dean

77 CJ-5 Levi's edition, 304 C.I.D. 4" lift, Edelbrock Performer intake, Performer carb., MSD 6A ignition system, MSD Billet Distributor, optima yellow top, Edelbrock valve covers, Moroso Air Cleaner.

75 CJ-5 258 C.I.D. Completely Stock, half cab, plow vehicle, Vice grip windshield wiper motor, extremely rusty but reliable.
77-levi_CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 07:44 PM   #6
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Depending on year, the V-6 CJ-5's came out with T-86 or T-14 trannies. The T-14 had a synchronized first gear. The close ratio T-18 (4.02 first gear)was optional. Standard gear ratio was 3.73 with a tapered axle 44 and the 27A frontend. Optional gar ratios from the factory were 4.27 and 4.88. Transfer case was the Dana-Spicer 18 with 2.46 low range.

My brother has a 68 CJ-5 with the factory Buick V-6 installation. It originally had the T-86 but it failed due to bearing problems so he bought a brand new T-18 with required adapters from his local Jeep dealer and trashed the T-86. Actually, the T-90 should hold up to the V-6 as I had a 283 Chevy in a CJ-6 and ran the T-90 and never had any problems. Of course I never tried to burn rubber on the pavement with it either.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.