Viewers Choice "you" recommend changes CJ7 with 304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Viewers Choice "you" recommend changes CJ7 with 304

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

Viewers Choice "you" recommend changes CJ7 with 304

This one's for anyone with time to give recommedations on organizing and upgrading with in limits under the hood. Budget is $500 bucks. What I already have--new carb, new dizzy, newer timing cover doing oiler upgrade, new water pump, new dizzy drive gear and dizzy gear, new timing chain, new fuel pump have upgraded headlights to run from a switch and relays. What I do is hunt with this Jeep no high water, little mudding, has a winch, need more lights, I'm no master mechanic just a country boy with his 12th jeep in 45 years. I have 2 weeks until turkey season this thing must roll.

001.jpg   007.jpg   010.jpg   jeep-rebuild-viewers-choice7.jpg   024.jpg  

Tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I would say a mild RV cam, performer intake (you can still run your 2 barrel carb with it and notice a difference, plus it shaves a ton of weight). You could find a used MSD 6AL on craigs list cheap as well. Headers wont hurt either.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

Personally I'd start getting the parts back on it!

[url]http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world[/url]
Shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

Waiting on the timing chain set from bulltear be here Monday. flhbagger is sending me an orfice for the oil mod on the timing cover be here monday then i'm going back together. Cam does sound good but motor is very strong. How much work is replacing the cam?
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftace View Post
Personally I'd start getting the parts back on it!
I'm with this dude. Don't even know where to start if the basic stuff isn't in place.

Will be an awesome project though!
GR8Tops Exogate, XRC-8, Monstalined tub.
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
chopki1
1981 CJ7 

4 cans of black spray paint,1 can of black engine paint,1 can of aluminum engine paint. 1 roll of black wire loom and a roll of black electrical tape. Total cost probably 20-25 bucks and it will give you something to do once you order whatever other parts you decide on and will help make the delivery time go by quicker.
chopki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
mvbrady
1986 CJ7 

I'd spend it on 50 gallon barrels , gas, and fuel stabilizer...i keep hearing gas prices are gonna blow this summer.
mvbrady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Get u one of those work lights out of a Chevy truck (90s) and mount it under your hood. It reels out and in, has about a 15 ft cord on it. Handy as a pocket on a shirt! I mounted mine close to the radiator kind of towards the solenoid.

Murph
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
Waiting on the timing chain set from bulltear be here Monday. flhbagger is sending me an orfice for the oil mod on the timing cover be here monday then i'm going back together. Cam does sound good but motor is very strong. How much work is replacing the cam?
They're not too bad but you do need to dig down to the lifters and pull them up.
Then if your cam bearings are worn...
I think working your way towards an EFI is a better option

[url]http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world[/url]
Shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

What about electric radiator fans? Dual batteries? Upgrade alternator? Have ya'll added any of these in the past?
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I agree, I'd have to clean up the engine bay. Performance wise cam and intake as mentioned. Would have been nice to now vitals before it was pulled down, I would have been temped to do the shortblock with a cam and them change heads and intake later.

THe items you just mentioned would only be done out of necessity, are you having any concerns with any of those items?
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

Wasn't sure it the electric fans would be better than the stock, the others battery and alternator would be to back up extra lights and winch. Not having any real issues other than the carb, put on a holley 600 cfm that just could not tune and most folks said it was to big for the 304 as is. So I put 2 barrel back on today so when I fire it back up we'll see. This all started from a water pump replacement only.

What type of spark plug wire looms will work best with the 304.
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

600 CFM shouldn't be too much for a 304, maybe your jets, accel pump, power valve, was but 600 simply means it really wont flow over that, when the blades are closed it's a 0 CFM (basically) and when they are crack open it pulls what it wants.
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

I'm going to move it to a cj5 with a 304 that is more of a mud racing unit I found at an auction. maybe I can tinker with it more on a unit i don't need to run as often. well thats another project. put the two-barrel on the camo jeep.
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

Okay paint what black and what silver on the engine? I'm all for cleaning the inside up- What degreaser do you recommend i've tried Gunk and it doesn't work like it did 20 years ago, i have a pressure washer to blast it off with. but need a degreaser..

Tags
builds , engine , fuel assembly , lights , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.