Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

VIDEO Horrible noise when trying to shift

1K views 26 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Romain 
#1 ·
I put in a new transmission, clutch & flywheel about two thousand miles ago, and starting today I am getting this grinding noise when trying to shift into any gear. The noise will continue until I let the clutch out. So, after it gets going just having the clutch in with the tranny out of gear can cause it.

#2 ·
Does it just grind when going into the gears?
Will it go into gear?
Does it just do it when you push the clutch pedal down and nothing else?

Confused with your description.

#4 ·
Running out of gear oil or the wrong gear oil are my first guesses then. You need to be running synchromesh gear oil, a modern plain GL5 gear oil will seize up the synchros.

Or the clutch getting out of adjustment. The pedal should have an inch or so of free play at the top.

#8 ·
Don't bet on it :thumbsup:
And won't know till it's done.
Show me where Borg-Warner ever said to use engine oil in their Jeep T-5.
BW said to use ATF at one time, and paid dearly for that screw-up.:thumbsup:
AMC/Jeep even had a special 'stink' oil made up and sold at the stealerships.
LG

#13 ·
Talked to the guy who built the transmission, and he had a pretty good argument for it being a clutch issue, and said it wouldnt matter if I had used water for tranny fluid...if the clutch is working right nothing in the transmission should be turning with the clutch pressed in. So, I'm going to adjust it in some to see if maybe it just isn't fully engaging. It is odd that would suddenly become an issue though.

#14 ·
Well... I have had my body mounts shift and the symptom was the clutch linkage went out of adjustment in a hurry.

#15 ·
I adjusted the clutch out 4 turns and gave it a drive. Around a mile in I get the howling noise while in first gear but the clutch pressed in. It got progressively worse from there on but only did it with the clutch pressed in. I don't feel any vibration that sound like the transmission is grinding.

Could that be the throwout bearing then? Only seems to do it while the clutch is in, regardless of if the transmission is in or out of gear.

Being the clutch is pressed that should rule out the transmission as the culprit.

#17 ·
Meh, as I was putting the clutch rod back together the darn thing fell off the front ball joint and whacked me in the head. How is this thing supposed to go back on? Does it snap on with a pair of plyers?
Are you sure the tub hasn't shifted on its mounts? Or maybe you have a broken tyranny or engine mount?

There is a C clip used to hold that in. They can be had online as part of the bell crank bushing set. If the clip is gone, the nylon bushing might be dead also which sure throws the adjustment out.

You don't adjust a clutch by feel, you adjust it until you have a little more than 1" of flop at the top of the pedal. If it doesn't work there, something else is wrong.

#21 ·
#23 ·
No, that is the proper place, just there are other clips that can pop off so the whole thing falls on your head.

Still worth checking the mounts for the reason it went out of adjustment so fast. Just that part didn't break because of the mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.