vibration while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > vibration while driving

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-17-2002, 09:17 AM   #1
75jeepcj

vibration while driving

There has been a vibration in my jeep that has been coming and going. Sometimes its there while I drive slow but more often when im in 3rd gear(3speed trans) going over about 35mph. Dont know if it is the transmission, the rear end, or maybe just an unbalanced wheel. Any suggestions on where the problem may be are appreciated.

75jeepcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 12:12 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Could be any number of things. Do you have a lift? Has it (the bad vibe) been there for a long time? Did it start after a recent modification (lift? new tires?). Does it seem like it's coming from the front or rear? If it starts and you shift into neutral is it still there? I would check the driveshaft universal joints first. Also check to see if all the wheels have their balance weights. Check for general sloppiness in things like tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings. Hopefully you'll home in on it.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 04:42 PM   #3
75jeepcj

just put a 1 1/2 inch lift and i'm pretty sure its coming from the back wheel(s)
75jeepcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I wouldn't think that a 1.5" lift would affect driveshaft angles enough to cause vibration but who knows? I would make sure that the transfer case output yoke and rear axle pinion yoke are on the same plane or with the pinion pointed about 1-2 degrees lower. If the lift caused your rearend's pinion to point up a little it may have induced a driveshaft vibration.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 09:27 PM   #5
SamFromCO

What type of lift did you put on (spring, shackle, or body)? Have you checked your u-joints?
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:07 AM   #6
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I would make sure that the u-bolts and springs are all seated correctly, and not loose. If something is able to move around back there, it will vibraite a lot.

A quick and cheap way to tell (assuming everything is bolted correctly) if the mild lift its self is the cause (could be on such a short CJ-5), is to throw a couple of hundred pounds in the back, effectively compressing the springs, lets say 2". If there is then no vibraition, the angle is too great, at least for the u-joints you have in.

Good luck

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.