Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Vibration under acceleration

940 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LumpyGrits 
#1 ·
I started noticing today a vibration and what seems like a clicking noise under acceleration at about 20 to 30 MPH. After that it seems to smooth out. I pressed the clutch in and it went away. Let off the gas and it went away. Rev'd the engine with the clutch depressed and it didnt vibrate. It was only under acceleration. Any ideas?

#4 ·
I am still running the two piece rear axles. A few things I have also noticed....I have new WARN rear locking hubs because my other ones were replaced under warranty. The hubs are leaking an oil that seems to spray out and cover me wheels with some oil or fluid. I called WARN and they said it is probably not from their hubs cause they only use a low viscosity grease that should not liquefy. To be fair, I also noticed it happening with the old hubs.

How can I tell if a U-joint is bad?

#5 ·
Chock the wheels and put it in neutral to make sure it's not under tension, then try to wiggle the driveshaft and watch where the cross goes into the caps. You don't want to see any movement there or on the whole shaft in general.

I had the same problem, and it was a loose u-joint strap.

When my u-joints went out completely and threw up all the needle bearings they would squeak rather than click or growl.

#9 ·
So after diagnosing the issue and following all the helpful advice that all of you gave me, I found out the issue.

When I replaced my clutch last month, I put the U-joints and the driveshaft in but never put lock tite on the bolts because I was going to test drive it and then tighten it up if it passed the test drive. Well......I got distracted and forgot to lock tite and re-tighten the bolts. The bolts were coming loose.

A little lock tite and wrench and they are all fixed. Thanks so much to all of you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.