Vibrating Mirrors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vibrating Mirrors

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
gogop66
1986 CJ7 

Vibrating Mirrors

My two sides mirrors vibrate like crazy making them just about useless while at speed. The re-view mirror is fine and I can see clearly. I suppose this is common but just in case I'm wrong does anyone know of a fix or after market mirror that is better? Thanks in advance!

gogop66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The aftermarket mirrors will vibrate more then the OEM ones due to the thin tubing and mounting brackets. Poly body and engine/trans bushings also contribute to unwanted vibrations.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Its a Jeep, not a car. They are going to vibrate.

Tire selection has a lot to do with is as well.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I hold mine steady with my foot when I'm on the highway. J/K. ;-)

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
The aftermarket mirrors will vibrate more then the OEM ones due to the thin tubing and mounting brackets. Poly body and engine/trans bushings also contribute to unwanted vibrations.
Keith, are you saying rubber bushing are better for vibration? I'm trying to decide between rubber and poly for my rebuild.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Mirrors are for looking at things in the past. Look ahead into what's approaching in life and make decisions based upon that. Remove the mirrors and focus. Use the force brother......
LOL, that's part of owning a CJ.
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

If you can solve that mirror vibration...... patent the method and prepare to be rich! Seriously though, it's the single support arm design, the weight of the mirror, it's flat backside and the wind velocity.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I never expect a clear view from mirrors while moving - wind and vibrations move the side view ones, and the windshield frame moves a lot from wind and vibration for the center rear view mirror to give a clear view. They are clear enough to know if there is someone there or not, and you should be looking back anyways to make sure there is nobody in your blind spots. If you are trying to read license plates or check out something in detail behind you, forget it. You shouldn't be that focused on items behind you anyways.

And yes, poly mounts (engine, body, trans, etc) do transmit more vibes than rubber does. That is why I use rubber mounts. If I wanted to drive a vibrating rattle trap, I'd drive my Ranger with poly motor mounts and no body mounts - the body sits on the frame nowadays from rust taking the mounts out....

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Keith, are you saying rubber bushing are better for dampening vibration? I'm trying to decide between rubber and poly for my rebuild.
Yep, that's what I'm saying as it is a known fact.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogop66 View Post
My two sides mirrors vibrate like crazy making them just about useless while at speed. The re-view mirror is fine and I can see clearly. I suppose this is common but just in case I'm wrong does anyone know of a fix or after market mirror that is better? Thanks in advance!
It depends to an extent on which mirrors you have and where they are mounted as there are several styles that POs could have chosen to "make it better".

I have the OEM style windshield hinge mounted mirrors, 5 years old and stainless steel from Qadratech. The PO had put door mounted mirrors on and they were small and dark and pitiful so I ordered some nice big OEM style ones (I then changed to the short fabric doors from Bestop so I would have had to anyway).

Upshot is that they do not vibrate on Bagusjeep and I have a clear view. It may be because the rubbers are fairly new and Bagusjeep rolls well, but also the screws around the ball joint on the end of the arm are in good shape and properly tightened.

Would I buy them again? Yes.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.