JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Vibrating Mirrors (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/vibrating-mirrors-1548731/)

gogop66 07-14-2013 07:43 AM

Vibrating Mirrors

My two sides mirrors vibrate like crazy making them just about useless while at speed. The re-view mirror is fine and I can see clearly. I suppose this is common but just in case I'm wrong does anyone know of a fix or after market mirror that is better? Thanks in advance!

keith460 07-14-2013 07:57 AM

The aftermarket mirrors will vibrate more then the OEM ones due to the thin tubing and mounting brackets. Poly body and engine/trans bushings also contribute to unwanted vibrations.

82JeepCJ7 07-14-2013 09:04 AM

Its a Jeep, not a car. They are going to vibrate.

Tire selection has a lot to do with is as well.

skizriz 07-14-2013 10:17 AM

I hold mine steady with my foot when I'm on the highway. J/K. ;-)

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum

waterdowg 07-14-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith460 (Post 15674760)
The aftermarket mirrors will vibrate more then the OEM ones due to the thin tubing and mounting brackets. Poly body and engine/trans bushings also contribute to unwanted vibrations.

Keith, are you saying rubber bushing are better for vibration? I'm trying to decide between rubber and poly for my rebuild.

PROJECT 23 07-14-2013 10:49 AM

Mirrors are for looking at things in the past. Look ahead into what's approaching in life and make decisions based upon that. Remove the mirrors and focus. Use the force brother......
LOL, that's part of owning a CJ.

Renegade82 07-14-2013 11:01 AM

If you can solve that mirror vibration...... patent the method and prepare to be rich! Seriously though, it's the single support arm design, the weight of the mirror, it's flat backside and the wind velocity.

Cutlass327 07-16-2013 01:59 AM

I never expect a clear view from mirrors while moving - wind and vibrations move the side view ones, and the windshield frame moves a lot from wind and vibration for the center rear view mirror to give a clear view. They are clear enough to know if there is someone there or not, and you should be looking back anyways to make sure there is nobody in your blind spots. If you are trying to read license plates or check out something in detail behind you, forget it. You shouldn't be that focused on items behind you anyways.

And yes, poly mounts (engine, body, trans, etc) do transmit more vibes than rubber does. That is why I use rubber mounts. If I wanted to drive a vibrating rattle trap, I'd drive my Ranger with poly motor mounts and no body mounts - the body sits on the frame nowadays from rust taking the mounts out....

keith460 07-16-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterdowg (Post 15675192)
Keith, are you saying rubber bushing are better for dampening vibration? I'm trying to decide between rubber and poly for my rebuild.

Yep, that's what I'm saying as it is a known fact.

BagusJeep 07-16-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogop66 (Post 15674732)
My two sides mirrors vibrate like crazy making them just about useless while at speed. The re-view mirror is fine and I can see clearly. I suppose this is common but just in case I'm wrong does anyone know of a fix or after market mirror that is better? Thanks in advance!

It depends to an extent on which mirrors you have and where they are mounted as there are several styles that POs could have chosen to "make it better".

I have the OEM style windshield hinge mounted mirrors, 5 years old and stainless steel from Qadratech. The PO had put door mounted mirrors on and they were small and dark and pitiful so I ordered some nice big OEM style ones (I then changed to the short fabric doors from Bestop so I would have had to anyway).

Upshot is that they do not vibrate on Bagusjeep and I have a clear view. It may be because the rubbers are fairly new and Bagusjeep rolls well, but also the screws around the ball joint on the end of the arm are in good shape and properly tightened.

Would I buy them again? Yes.

The time now is 05:14 PM.