Viair OBA system install w/pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Viair OBA system install w/pics

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Viair OBA system install w/pics

Most of the threads I have seen regarding this subject are in TJ's and lacking pictures of a complete system installed. So, this is my attempt at answering the questions I had for a CJ OBA system as to where to mount the various components that make up the system. By no means is this the beat all, end all, it is just my solution posted in one thread. I still can't figure out how to post pictures with the description below each pic, so picture 1 is where I mounted the compressor on the passenger side fender in the engine bay, it is close enough to the auxillary battery and fits nicely. The second picture shows the 2.5 gal tank mounted underneath the tub close to the frame rail near the transfer case and should be mostly out of harms way (I am somewhat concerned about the drain plug sticking out so I am carrying a spare). The 3rd picture is the pressure gauge mounted under the dash, easy enough and the last pic is not too good but shows where I brought in the female air connector inside the cab. I have a rubber furniture leg cover on it to keep debris out of the connector and I figured it would be better protected here than outside somewhere. It is central to the Jeep and the coiled hose reaches all 5 tires with ease. Again, there are other methods of mounting these pieces and this is how I chose to do mine. If anyone has had success or failure with their system and that system is similar to mine, please chime in and tell me your thoughts. BESRK and/or jeepskate feel free to move this if you think it belongs in the general jeep forum but I prefer to hear from the CJ experts here. Thanks...

s6301474.jpg   s6301473.jpg   s6301475.jpg   s6301470.jpg  
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

I so want your hurst shifter
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

As stupid as it sounds, that simple Hurst shifter has made the drivability of my CJ infinitely better...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
Unread 07-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
sgttaylor83CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for sharing your install. I have a Viair system ready to go in. The only hold up is deciding where and how to mount things.

I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of exactly how and where you, and anyone else who wouldnt mind posting, mounted their equipment (especially the tank).

Post em if ya got em!
sgttaylor83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

my tank's location has plenty of room around it, the pressure switch/relay is protected above the transfer case skid, it is on the opposite side of my exhaust and it is close to the frame rail and hidden enough to where I think I should be OK. Jerry Bransford (he is a moderater here, he has a TJ) has had his there for years and not had a problem.
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

I wanted to put my tank under the frame like that, but i was concerned with havin it get nailed by a rock or something, just because thats all I play on.

I mounted mine on the drivers rear fender behind the drivers seat and the compressor right in front of it.

Its not takin up any room I was using before, is well out of the way, the compressors ventilated good, and plus it just looks sweet there. haha. Not sure if that location would work with a hard top but my soft top still goes on no problemo.
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

i moved my ignition modual to the firewall and mounted the compressor next the the wiper bottle, i plan on mounting the manifold to the top of the fender well. im moving the horns down a bit to the side of the fender well.
i thought about mounting everything on the passenger side since the install would be cleaner and less stuff to move but i wanted the manifold, connectors, and guages close to the drivers seat.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

As a follow up, I ran the Fordyce trail and parts of the Rubicon trail this past summer and had no problems with the air tank getting smacked by rocks so it seems the location where I mounted the tank is well protected. The only issue I did have was that the pressure switch brass fitting that connects to the tank cracked from the jarring of the Fordyce trail and would have rendered the OBA system useless had I not had a spare connector. The pressure switch on this particular system is rather large and apparently is too big for the fitting to account for jarring of rock crawling...either that or I need to slow down when going over rocks!!
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

I have the york compressor ready for install just havent had the time been busy with other stuff but lord knows i could have used it a dozen times by now. it is very handy and being that i live in and apt. i dont have an air compressor at my home so i always have to go to a friends or try and use my battery dremal. so props for getting it done.
1911Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
i moved my ignition modual to the firewall and mounted the compressor next the the wiper bottle,
Your killing the compressors life having it mounted like that.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
Your killing the compressors life having it mounted like that.
how is that......?

Ben
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
how is that......?

Ben
http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/faq.html
Q: Is it possible to mount VIAIR compressors sideways, or must it be mounted with the cylinder upright?
A: You can mount in any direction or position since VIAIR compressors are oil-less. The only position we do not recommend is an upside-down mount, since heat tends to travel upward, and does not dissipate well in the motor housing. A sideways mounting may reduce the life of the piston seal, since everything is governed by gravity and has a weight associated with it.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/faq.html
Q: Is it possible to mount VIAIR compressors sideways, or must it be mounted with the cylinder upright?
A: You can mount in any direction or position since VIAIR compressors are oil-less. The only position we do not recommend is an upside-down mount, since heat tends to travel upward, and does not dissipate well in the motor housing. A sideways mounting may reduce the life of the piston seal, since everything is governed by gravity and has a weight associated with it.
learn something new every day!

Ben
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Green73CJ5
1973 CJ5 

I am looking for a compressor for my CJ. This post was helpful to show me some options. I am deciding between a portable Viair and a mounted one. If I do a mounted system like above, do I need to have the extra tank or can I just use the air straight from the compressor?
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green73CJ5 View Post
I am looking for a compressor for my CJ. This post was helpful to show me some options. I am deciding between a portable Viair and a mounted one. If I do a mounted system like above, do I need to have the extra tank or can I just use the air straight from the compressor?

the problem is that the CFM at 90 psi is only .98 i think and most air tools run off about 4.0 cfm so a tank would be the only way you would be able to turn any air tool. or blow something off with any power behind it.
1911Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air tank , hurst , oba , onboard air , tank , viair

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.