Very hard starting CJ7 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Very hard starting CJ7 258

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
leisyg

Very hard starting CJ7 258

I know I've seen this discussed in other threads but can't seem to find them now. Even after sitting for one day, I have to crank and pump the pedal for 1 to 2 minutes before it'll start. Once it starts, it'll start easy for the rest of the day. I've heard of people installing check valves in the fuel line back by the tank, just wondering if that solved the problem for anyone here. Initially when trying to start the jeep, there is fuel shooting into the carb, is that just from the bowl, but the line has drained back into the tank ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

leisyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I broke down and bought a DUI HEI distributor and that solved all my starting problems. I understand a regular HEI makes a difference too.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
solitudetree

What kind of carb do you have?

I had a carter with a manual choke and the first thing I did was get a weber. That helped a lot.
75 Jeep Wagoneer 360V8
79 Jeep Cherokee 258 six
[/FONT][/COLOR]
solitudetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Still have the stock BBD. Mine is an 1980 model which is simpler than the later BBD's I understand.
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Before I replaced the distributor, I thought I had a fuel problem too. If I let it sit for a couple days, I would have to crank like hell to get it to start. I thought the carb was drying up. But then I kept reading about HEI conversions so for the heck of it, I bought a DUI. Starts instantly all the time now. I always thought my old ignition system was in good order but apparently it wasn't.
Unread 11-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
leisyg

It's a 1 barrel Carter. The choke doesn't seem to work either, I don't think that should cause a problem like this but I've had fuel injected trucks for so long, I'm learning carbs all over again. Just got the jeep (77 CJ7, 258 from a 75 I think) a couple months ago, trying to get it inspectable so I can work out all the bugs. I'm sure the carb needs a rebuild, and I didn't think about the distributor as a possible cause. Oh, and trying to start it earlier today, FRIED the solenoid, little bit of smoke etc. I'm new to jeeps and this seems to be a somewhat common issue with them. Just trying to figure out why.
Unread 11-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Most fuel pumps have a check valve that prevents all the fuel from draining back into the tank.

That's likely your problem.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #8
leisyg

Guess I'll try the fuel pump first, that does seem to make sense and probably the easiest place to start. I'll let you know. Thanks for the suggestions.
Unread 11-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

PacFanWeb is right an the fuel pump has one way valves in them However a 77cj might have a leakey fuel line that is sucking more air than fuel and allowing the gas to drain back:

This one was almost impossible to see until I took the tub off.

And yes the choke is important also. It should completly close for the first 5 seconds of trying to start your jeep and then open it up part way. In a couple of min you should be able to open it fully. Learning how to use a mechanical choke is important.

Also the 77 CJ has about the worst possible ignition system on it. The Prestolite I had was nothing but problems. Get rid of it and put in a GM HEI or if your good at wiring a later model CJ Motorcraft with the TFI upgrage. The GM HEI is easier to install since you have to replace the whole system anyway.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #10
leisyg

Thanks for the info, that might explain the way it runs too. And from what i've been seeing browsing for parts, I should be able to replace the thermostat in the choke ? It's an automatic choke, but not electric. I'll have to take some time this weekend and give it a better look.
Unread 12-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
leisyg

Well, finally got a chance to put the new fuel pump in, patched the hole I found in the fuel line, everything works good again. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.