very dumb question, im sorry - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > very dumb question, im sorry

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 02-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
tmak504
1976 CJ7 

very dumb question, im sorry

hey im into jeeps, had mine for a while , never really had the money or time to start modding it, so i havent been goin through this site too much, but how do you get that huge kicked out tire look? is it just a different hub you buy or do you have to deal with axle modifications/replacments. etc, i love how jeeps look with a very wide base and would like to get some prices and info on such mods.... thanks, sorry

tmak504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Would help to know what Jeep you have.

If you have a YJ, TJ, or widetrack CJ, then all you need is some wheels and bigger tires. (and the appropriate lift for whatever size tire you choose)

If you have a narrow track CJ, then you'll need some wheel spacers and rims/tires.

I'm assuming you're talking about how the tires stick out from under the flares.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
tmak504
1976 CJ7 

i have an 83 cj7, yes im talkin when your behind the jeep at a light how the wheels look kicked out, just how they kinda do when you have your fender flares off...
Unread 02-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

There are three easy ways:

1) Buy wider tires...say 12 or 13" wide.
2) Buy 1" wheel spacers.
3) Buy new wheels with a larger backspacing.
Unread 02-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
jeep loser

start with wheel spacers

I dont recomend them, but hey go for it, When you change wheel offset you move where the weight sits on the axles the futher out the wheels the more weight on the bearings, because let's face it in a semi floating design all the weight is on the bearings, car companies spend alot of time on wheel design for just that reason.
jeep loser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
tmak504
1976 CJ7 

so are you saying 1 inch spacers would question the integrity of the jeeps frame and weight distribution as far as axles and whatnot go?
Unread 02-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmak504
so are you saying 1 inch spacers would question the integrity of the jeeps frame and weight distribution as far as axles and whatnot go?
Integrity of the Jeep frame? Not in any way I can think of.

Weight distribution on the axles? Well... that depends.

What jeep loser is expalaining is that with stock offset wheels the weight on that end of the axle is distributed eveny between both bearings. When you move the wheel out then the outer bearing will see an increas in the load.

However I have to think the rating on that bearing is pretty high as I have been running a 10" rim for years without any problem but that is mainly street use. On the trail you may be putting increased shock loads on that bearing that will have a detrimental effect on the bearing.

If you can, A wide track axle I think would be the better way to go.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
tmak504
1976 CJ7 

very good info, thanks alot man
Unread 02-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
MattCJ5

If your cj is an 83, you should have wide trac axles on it. Just throw some 12.5" wide tires on there with some rims with alot of backspacing and they will stick out enough to throw rocks at you when you have the doors off.
MattCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
tmak504
1976 CJ7 

thats what im talkin about

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.