Very dim gauge lights??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Very dim gauge lights???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Very dim gauge lights???

Hi,

I have very dim gauge lights on my '74 CJ5, can't even read the gauges at night, how can I improve this situation??

Thanks

sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Bakunin
1985 CJ7 

Improve your grounds, that's my first thought.
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfu
Hi,

I have very dim gauge lights on my '74 CJ5, can't even read the gauges at night, how can I improve this situation??

Thanks
Have you turned the light knob (while the lights are on) clockwise and counter? Sounds simple but not sure if you tried that. Mine has a sweet spot where everything lights up nice, otherwise very dim.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
shull360CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Shazam79
1979 CJ5 

Stupid question, but how do you check the ground? I had the same problem and changed out all my speedo cluster bulbs...but it seems only the top left illumination bulb is working. The other 2 may as well be burnt out. But all others are good and they dim as they should.

Also, any way to get rid of that blue hue or replace the 56 size with LEDs or something? Thanks.
Shazam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam79 View Post
Stupid question, but how do you check the ground? I had the same problem and changed out all my speedo cluster bulbs...but it seems only the top left illumination bulb is working. The other 2 may as well be burnt out. But all others are good and they dim as they should.

Also, any way to get rid of that blue hue or replace the 56 size with LEDs or something? Thanks.
It could be the voltage is to low possibly because the dimmer is not turned up all the way. They can get stuck.

The best way to check a ground is with a voltmeter. Connect one side to the (-) on the battery and touch the other lead to what you assume is ground on the dash. Turn on the lights. If you see any voltage then you have a bad ground. The higher the voltage, the worse it is.

You could also use a test light. Connect one side to the (+) on the battery and touch the probe onto your assumed ground connection on the dash. If it lights as brightly as going to the (-) side of the battery, the ground is good.

The speedo has blue covers over the bulbs and I guess you can always remove the covers. I have one speed with them broken off but the amber color is more distracting.

Yes the do make LED for the dash.

You have to get the correct bulbs also. Some bulbs are to long and will melt the plastic covers, some bulbs have the filaments to low to shine inside the speedo. Need to get the correct replacement bulbs for the dash to get the proper illumination.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.