Very dim gauge lights??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Very dim gauge lights???

Hi,

I have very dim gauge lights on my '74 CJ5, can't even read the gauges at night, how can I improve this situation??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

Improve your grounds, that's my first thought.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfu
Hi,

I have very dim gauge lights on my '74 CJ5, can't even read the gauges at night, how can I improve this situation??

Thanks
Have you turned the light knob (while the lights are on) clockwise and counter? Sounds simple but not sure if you tried that. Mine has a sweet spot where everything lights up nice, otherwise very dim.

'98 Sport, 5 Speed. Green Emerald Metallic. Bestop soft top.
BDS 2" lift, AR steel wheels, 31"x10.5" Goodyears. Stock axles, stock 3.07 gears.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Shazam79
1979 CJ5 

Stupid question, but how do you check the ground? I had the same problem and changed out all my speedo cluster bulbs...but it seems only the top left illumination bulb is working. The other 2 may as well be burnt out. But all others are good and they dim as they should.

Also, any way to get rid of that blue hue or replace the 56 size with LEDs or something? Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2011, 02:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam79 View Post
Stupid question, but how do you check the ground? I had the same problem and changed out all my speedo cluster bulbs...but it seems only the top left illumination bulb is working. The other 2 may as well be burnt out. But all others are good and they dim as they should.

Also, any way to get rid of that blue hue or replace the 56 size with LEDs or something? Thanks.
It could be the voltage is to low possibly because the dimmer is not turned up all the way. They can get stuck.

The best way to check a ground is with a voltmeter. Connect one side to the (-) on the battery and touch the other lead to what you assume is ground on the dash. Turn on the lights. If you see any voltage then you have a bad ground. The higher the voltage, the worse it is.

You could also use a test light. Connect one side to the (+) on the battery and touch the probe onto your assumed ground connection on the dash. If it lights as brightly as going to the (-) side of the battery, the ground is good.

The speedo has blue covers over the bulbs and I guess you can always remove the covers. I have one speed with them broken off but the amber color is more distracting.

Yes the do make LED for the dash.

You have to get the correct bulbs also. Some bulbs are to long and will melt the plastic covers, some bulbs have the filaments to low to shine inside the speedo. Need to get the correct replacement bulbs for the dash to get the proper illumination.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.