VERY confused, please help me. ;( -- timing/carb issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

VERY confused, please help me. ;( -- timing/carb issues

Hey everyone, I've read my book so many times, I just can't figure this out and it's driving me NUTS! I'm trying to initially run the engine, it's never been configured before. I followed my manual on how to find TDC, and I did that, I got the distributor in. Now my mc2100 has just been rebuilt, so it's not tuned for anything.. it's just there.

When I fire it up, it runs like garbage, I have to keep it at like 1500 rpm to get it to run steady. Around 1000 it starts shaking a bit. Now I don't know if I'm supposed to be trying to time it, or figure out the carb. How do you do both?

When I mess around with the idle screws on the carb, it changes my timing, then if I go to time it.. it messes with the way it's idling. I'm lost. ;/ Please help.

I don't know if this is relevant but.. when I swapped motors I never took the distributor apart, I just marked all the plugs and slid it out.

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
CJClyde
1984 CJ7 

If it were mine, I would try to find the timing first. If you can get someone to keep it running while you use a light to find the time, the carb will be much easier to tune after that. Where is your timing now?

1984 CJ-7, 4" Trailmaster, 31's. Future plans include complete rebuild with SBC 350, Dana 44 front, Ford 9 inch rear, and SOA with highsteer.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-01-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Well if someone keeps it running with their foot on the gas.. the timing jumps around depending on how open/closed they keep the carb. I watch that white line jump around and I'm so confused on how the heck to do this.

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work

post #4 of 10 Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM
slacker92104

I found that I had to keep tinkering with the two. Make an adjustment to one then to the other again and again a couple of times. It's a matter really of getting the carb adjusted well enough for the motor to run at the specified idle speed. Then you can do the final timing adjustments.
The reason the timing changes when the rpms change is because of the advance.

'81 CJ5, efi 302, AX-15 5 spd, On Board Air, wrangler spring conversion, Astro van Hydro Brakes.
Soon: Custom cut Dana 44 front, wide trac solid axle amc 20 rear, SOA,
post #5 of 10 Old 03-01-2008, 08:19 PM
bigyearn
1975 CJ5 

do you have your carb set to "FACTORY NEEDLE SETTINGS"?
I would start from there and try to get it running first.
unless your timing is so far of it will not want to run.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-01-2008, 08:29 PM
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

If the timing is not even close enough to keep it running, I would suggest the timing be set first, such as CJClyde recommended. If it runs, just rough - then you may want to adjust the carb. can you disconnect the computer setting or whatever is changing your time when you adjust the carb? If so, do that, set your time, then reconnect and go back and set your carb. I am unfamilair with your carb, if I am way off I apologize.

1984 CJ 7, SBC 350TBI, 700R4, D 300, AMC 20, D30, 35" Mickeys, 3.54 Gears, 4" susp. Lift, 2" body lift.

In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Indy

Timing and carb adjustment are not related to each other. You're seeing the timing mark jump around not because the timing is moving around, but because the cylinder is mis-firing. Odds are you're off by a tooth on the distributor. I'd get back to TDC on #1, pull and re-install the distributor.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Okay guys, thank you all for the replies, I got it running last night and when I got home I just went right to bed!

slacker, what I did was adjust the carb mixture screws first so it actually ran, and then tweaked it to idle at 800rpm (roughly). Then I timed it.. and it smoothed out. Before I was trying to run back and forth and get it to run smooth while tinkering with both, and that doesn't work.. so I learned something!

bigyearn, I put a motorcraft 2100 on so I can't use any factory specs when it comes to the carb. ;/

bdmonst, I ripped the computer out when I did the nutter and put the mc2100 on. I believe what was changing the time was the advanced, like slacker says..

Indy, that was recommended to me by someone that was with me.. we did do that but it was good!

Thank you guys very much for all the input! Everyone was very helpful! I finally got 'er running!

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

post #9 of 10 Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Indy

It always feels good when you fix a problem that's driving you nuts. I just did a carb swap and had bad idle/stalling problems... sometimes. Then it would idle great, then it it idle high, then it would bog and die... Spent 2 days trying to track a vacuum leak or anything else that would cause it. Turned out I had a tiny bit of crap floating around inside my idle jet. Sometimes it would flow, sometimes it would block. Got it out and she idles and runs like a dream. Took all of 5 seconds to fix.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Hehe, congrats on fixing that! That sounds to be very annoying.. it's always nice when it turns out to be something small though, isn't it?

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.