Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Vent/ Heater control problem

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kuematsu 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have an '86 CJ7. My vent/heater control is very difficult to operate. I need to really pull/push hard to get it to open the vent, for example. It has gotten so bad that I have pulled the knob off trying to open it. Do I need to lube the cable? Anyone else have this problem? I have used WD40 on the cable where it enters the sheath to no avail.

I have read about aluminum replacement knobs in these forums. Would these be helpful (i.e. stronger)? Where can I purchase them?

Thank you for your feedback!

#2 ·
You can get the knobs alot of places, ebay,4wd,quadratec..etc. and yes they may help by giving you more to grab when pulling but to help w/your main problem try to remove the cables one at a time and spray pb blaster down them to loosen em up and then work them back and forth until they move easily. try not to use any oil or grease because it usually collects dirt and gets all gummed up and causes more problems down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.