Vehicle Titling in Virginia - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vehicle Titling in Virginia

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Vehicle Titling in Virginia

Ok, need some help on this one. I have a '53 M38A1 that I bought from a guy with a bill of sale only. Vehicle never had a title as it was a givernment vehicle. So I go to the DMV today and attempt to get a title and I was told that it was illegal for the previous owner to sell me the vehicle without a title. Furthermore, I could not title it in my name without either the title or paperwork from the original sale 27 years ago (right). I have neither. Apparently I can do something called an affidavit of inspection which allows the DMV to verify my serial numbers and grant me a title. Wondering if anybody has any experience or thoughts...thanks.

Unread 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Jwood621

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain, I've never had good luck at the DMV. Good luck.
Jwood621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Call the main DMV number in Richmond. Have them walk you through the steps you need to take. I found them very helpful in resolving a title issue I had. If you don't feel like the person is helpful, hang up and try again as you will most likely get a different person........As stated above, good luck....
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
halpeters
1978 CJ7 

It is true the Jeep was never "titled" by the Government. When the Government sells a vehicle, they are supposed to provide "Standard Form 97 (SF97) Certificate of Release of a Motor Vehicle" that you can take to any tag office, in any state and get a title. Good luck finding this on a 1953...

Check out this site - A lot of info on dealing with just your problem:

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_register_title.php

Good luck!!

Hal
halpeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halpeters View Post
It is true the Jeep was never "titled" by the Government. When the Government sells a vehicle, they are supposed to provide "Standard Form 97 (SF97) Certificate of Release of a Motor Vehicle" that you can take to any tag office, in any state and get a title. Good luck finding this on a 1953...

Check out this site - A lot of info on dealing with just your problem:

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_register_title.php

Good luck!!

Hal
yea thats only if it was used for the military. I talked to the local DMV guy about it the other week.

Hmm considering your situation, no title, I would title it as a abandoned vehicle.I forgot the details, but the DMV guy said that the DMV does all the work on finding out the POs and gathering enough information to confirm that it really is a M38A1 (document crap) umm I was also told it takes a few months to do this also. Unless it was stolen from an army base, you shouldn't have any troubles. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.