Vapor Lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vapor Lock

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Vapor Lock

I think I am experiencing a vapor lock issue with my 258 and 2100. I have always had a cheap-o clear plastic advanced fuel filter that does not have the vapor return line. I have been noticing hard starts once it is warmed up. Starts fine when it is cold. I also can see bubbles in the clear filter when I turn it off. I am going back to the factory filter. Can someone tell me where the vapor return line connects to on the canister? There may be a better term for it but vapor return was all I could think of.

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

The fuel return line is continuous to the tank, not connected to the vapor canister. There should be a hard line running along the left side frame rail and ending very near the canister. If it is open I suggest that it is cleaned out prior to using it. You will find that a rubber hose is connected to it at the aft end and that is where I would cut and allow access for cleaning it. Once you make that connection be sure to watch for leaks.

If the first section of the return line which runs near to the filter and then avoiding the intake/exhaust manifolds is missing you should bend a new one.

The air bubbles that you see are a common occurrence with each pulse of the pump. That is the reasoning of the dual output filter's orientation with the return in on top of the carb fill line.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Anyone have a picture of the line where it ends by the canister? Just went and looked and did not see it, but it was a little dark.
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

[IMG][/IMG]
I got them but can'y seem to to be able to post them
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fu...ister-1062753/
If you look at post #1 that where it goes

Last edited by dslywalker; 07-03-2010 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: more info
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Alright found the line and got the correct filter installed. The PO had pulled it and stuck it on the PVC port of the cannister. Getting ready to go for a ride and see what happens.
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

MoC I hope that you did locate the correct line.

It will be running along the frame rail with that line that has been wrongly identified above.

That line in the referenced photo is the fuel tank vent line, not to be confused with the fuel return line.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Yes sir got the correct one. The fuel tank vent is green and still connected. Thanks for checking! Problem solved by the way. Ran around town for 2 hours working on the honey do list and started right up each time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.