Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 12-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #91
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You ought to change the sending unit while you have access to the top of the tank. It will never be easier and more convenient than now. It is a simple fix. Also, I would paint it, although it looks galvanized. It sure is in good shape!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #92
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Do I remember you cutting an access door to yours? I am going to change the sending unit, as well as any of the soft hoses, and the breathers. The rigid fuel and brake lines are fine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #93
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Do I remember you cutting an access door to yours? I am going to change the sending unit, as well as any of the soft hoses, and the breathers. The rigid fuel and brake lines are fine.
I did not, but Rick (rixcj) did, with pics.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #94
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Hey guys.

I have two questions. I will post a windshield frame after wifey goes to bed.

How bad does a windshield frame have to be before you junk it? Mine is pretty shot along the bottom, but the horror stories of replacements (and VERY LITTLE MONEY) makes me want to save what I got.

Two. Is it bad to have two kinds of shocks on my jeep? I have two SETS (four shocks), one set is stiffer than the other. One is a set of ProComp 1000s the other is a set of ProComp 3000s. Should I buy a set to match one of these, or can I roll it?

If I roll it, which end gets the heavier shock?

Thanks,

Chris
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Unread 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #95
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

If there is enough metal to weld to once the rust is cut out then do it. Nothing on the bottom will be seen. The cowl seal will take up a lot of imperfection on the bottom and across the bottom lip (front face of the windshield frame). Do as good a job as possible with any area above the lip of the cowl seal. Does that make sense?

The down side... the frame will warp from the heat. Literally, we clamped ours to a big chunck of I beam, held a piece of wood at the correct spot, and beat the crap out of it with a BFH! We didn't know it had warped until we laid it flat on a table. It was worth it.

THAT being said, it will rust again, eventually. An aftermarket frame COULD be a better LONG-TERM investment.

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #96
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
If there is enough metal to weld to once the rust is cut out then do it. Nothing on the bottom will be seen. The cowl seal will take up a lot of imperfection on the bottom and across the bottom lip (front face of the windshield frame). Do as good a job as possible with any area above the lip of the cowl seal. Does that make sense?

The down side... the frame will warp from the heat. Literally, we clamped ours to a big chunck of I beam, held a piece of wood at the correct spot, and beat the crap out of it with a BFH! We didn't know it had warped until we laid it flat on a table. It was worth it.

THAT being said, it will rust again, eventually. An aftermarket frame COULD be a better LONG-TERM investment.
Hey Buddy. I am definitely gonna weld in some patches. Did you see the pics in the other post? They weren't the worst I have seen, and like you said, the cowl seal will help, and nothing I do will last forever anyway!

I have been working 2 to 3 hours on this thing every night. I'm not gonna kill myself to meticulously record everything in this thread though- nobody reads it! Instead I am gonna just ask questions in fresh ones as I go. I am taking pics though- I would be sunk without them. How's yer 7 doin?
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #97
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Hey Buddy. I am definitely gonna weld in some patches. Did you see the pics in the other post? They weren't the worst I have seen, and like you said, the cowl seal will help, and nothing I do will last forever anyway!

I have been working 2 to 3 hours on this thing every night. I'm not gonna kill myself to meticulously record everything in this thread though- nobody reads it! Instead I am gonna just ask questions in fresh ones as I go. I am taking pics though- I would be sunk without them. How's yer 7 doin?
My 7 is sad, lonely, and depressed. Sitting, stoicly, like a soldier... waiting.

You saying this build thread is going away? No way Man! The reason there are not a lot of comments is because you are planning, talking, brainstorming. Once you start banging stuff together you will have HOARDS of people in-ter-ject-ing... interjecting. Had to check my spelling! The thread is your record. Random posts are not.

You can bend 18 G metal to whatever form you need for the WS frame and weld it in. I used scrap on Clay's frame. I did not see the pic in the other thread, but I haven't been on regularly for a few days. Rock-N-Roll!

If you build it, they will come...

Unread 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #98
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Ok- you talked me into it.

Daystar 1" mounts came today. Last night- new fuel pump and fuel filter, some block clean-up, painting, and rear shocks.

Tonight- remove, clean, and re-install valve cover, plugs and wires, and something else I forgot. Pics when I get done.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #99
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Wire wheel the rust off the WS frame so you can see everything a little clearer. Use a cutting wheel to remove the rusted out metal. Get some 18 gauge stock and cut/bend/mold it to the shape as closely as you can. Tack it in.

Once you cut out the bad stuff you will expose the bracing that's inside the frame. There will be spot welds that you will have to drill out if they haven't rusted out. Those spot welds are welded to the inner bracing. You will need to reattach the new metal to the bracing. Drill a small hole at the correct position and plug weld the new metal to the brace. Easy as pie!

Once everything is tacked in you need to slowly weld the seams, meaning waiting between welds so you don't create as much heat. Move around a lot. Keep it cool with ice in a rag. Try to reduce the warpage. Grind the welds down, but it's easy to grind too much. The metal is already thin, don't make it too thin! I am an expert about that!!! When you get it "done" coat it all with a layer of DuraGlas filler. This is a fiberglas filler that will seal it all up and keep the air off of it. No air, no rust! Or you will at least slow the rust down!

Remove the glass before welding!

Unread 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #100
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Windshield frame and some body stuff this weekend. I am trying to combat some serious Jeep ADD. I have every phase to work on- engine, chassis, fuel, body work, suspension, paint, parts, pyro...you know what I mean. If I dont watch it, some nights I just walk around the garage doing random things, half azzed, half way, losing things and breaking stuff.

Engine and chassis stuff this week and weekend, set tub back on next week and weekend, body work to follow (need garage for pregnant wifes car, so some body work will be done mounted- already did underside). All of my body panels and pieces are in various stages of work; ie. grill ready to mount, hood ready to paint, tub 30% done, fenders untouched.

Didn't get as far as I wanted last night (who does?).

Wanted to finish this stuff.

Didn't. Did get the lid off. I know nothing about what's going on here, but will learn when I build the 258 or V8 something in a year or two.

Wanted to put this in the Christmas Lights thread, but couldn't find it.

Unread 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #101
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

PICK something. Prioritize. Pregnant wife is first. Make room for baby ride!

I'll find the section in our thread where we did the WS frame. I have a lot of pics of the welding and rot we dealt with... might help.

Unread 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #102
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

A little every day.

A while back I had to weld in new tops on two of the chassis' body mounts. I drilled the mounting holes during lunch today.

Pass side rear crossmember

Driver's side just in front of the rear wheel.

Unread 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #103
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Good Job Boy! They don't have to be perfect... just PDC.

Remember the bumper sticker that old people would have on their car that said "One Day At A Time"? I understand that now!

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #104
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Tonight-

Cleaned and replaced valve cover. Holy cr@p did that take work! I hope I got a good seal. Somebody at FelPro should be smacked for the way they package that gasket.

Replaced plugs and wires while I was at it. Plugs were suprisingly clean.

Smashed the windshield out of the frame. Gonna drop the gas tank tomorrow night to clean it and shoot it with paint. I'll put it back Thursday, and now that Daystar Clause delivered the mounts, I hope to have the tub back on early next week- if I can get troutbum19 up to the ranch. With the tub back on, can start piecing her back together.

I just wanted to bump these up as a reminder to me.

Last edited by WNC-84CJ7; 01-08-2013 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: I wanted to.
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #105
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The reason I've ignored this thread is because none of the pics post on the first 3 pages, for me, so it's difficult to follow along and get hooked. But, I do agree, keep your entire build documented here. I hate when others start a new thread for every simple little question.

I also find your CJ ADD a little distracting. On this page alone, you've worked on the windshield, battery tray, ignition, valve cover and frame, but haven't completed any of them except the valve cover.

Anyway, I love your motivation, and it's clear you are a sharp young man. Just channel those qualities a little more and I think you will be more productive, and people will tune in.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.