Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #76
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Thanks Scott! That wierd plug looking thing was on the hoses to the steering box. I am probably just going to do my darndest, hope for the best, give it a couple shots here if it doesn't run, and take it to my auto mech if I can't get it to go. Actually, it's not the engine that scares me- it's all the ancillary stuff under the dash and the stupid looking harnesses I have hanging in the garage. I have parts that I look at and think "uh-oh".
There is no shame in this plan. I did the same thing. When you look at all the strange stuff that came off the Jeep, especially after so much time elapses, you get kind of a sick feeling about how on earth you will ever put it back together again. It is exacerbated when you're a rookie! Experience talking here! But I was also surprised just how simple it was in the end if you give it a fair shot. The Chiltons/Haynes manuals have pretty good wiring schematics. All you have to do is sit down with the book and study the pages for your year. If the harness is in your hands it is even easier. The plugs are proprietary, and they don't plug in just anywhere. Study the battery/alternator/coil/ignition module first. Then study the wiring that goes to the steering column, ie ignition switch. These areas are the NECESSARY wires to make it run. Your carb tuning will be manual. I don't remember if you pulled your dizzy, but it has to go in correctly. I was VERY intimidated with that part, but Bill talked me through it. It was actually quite "fun", as in interesting, revealing, easy and rewarding.

I got Clay's 5 running, but not well enough to drive it in traffic. So I trailered it to my mechanic's shop. He checked it over, made some changes, added an exhaust system, and we drove it home. It was right, and I felt better. But don't give up on a part you can do. The more intimate you are with your Jeep, the better off you will be for future repairs.

And keep in mind your mechanic my not have a clue how to set up your Jeep. You may pay a $500 bill only to set it up correctly when you get home!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #77
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Scott you sneaky man. I didn't see your post the other day. The more time I spend with "The Trap" in the garage, the better I feel about it. Swapping the YFA for the YF is what will make this possible. The STUPID spaghetti mess of the emissions controls is idiotic! Photobucket is SLOW as cr@p tonight. I have many pics to follow...like a dozen-ish...if Photobucket stops sucking.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #78
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Scott you sneaky man. I didn't see your post the other day. The more time I spend with "The Trap" in the garage, the better I feel about it. Swapping the YFA for the YF is what will make this possible. The STUPID spaghetti mess of the emissions controls is idiotic! Photobucket is SLOW as cr@p tonight. I have many pics to follow...like a dozen-ish...if Photobucket stops sucking.
Got out and kick your dish then sit down and make another batch of lightnin... You're gonna be alright.

Generally speaking, computers suck!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #79
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Alright! A small victory, but a victory nonetheless. It was late when I finished last night, and Photobucket was wicked slow. First, thank you Bill and Clarence.

Got a bunch of pics tonight from yesterday. The project was the carb, but there is more, and I have a bunch of questions.

I assume this is the root of all evil, and what I am attempting to circumvent.

These rusty, nasty breathers are from the fuel tank, up in the back corners. Should I just get replacements from Quadratec, Amazon, Morris, wherever?

replaced this

with this

using this. This OK in a motor? I love it for my plumbing.
IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/WNC84CJ7/P1000107_zps3a6c1e5c.jpg[/IMG]

I know Fred Lynes loves these. This is for Fred.

My spare carrier is bent. I want to re-use it. Any suggestions on straightening other than heat and muscle?

Carb in next post!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #80
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

This is the missing pic... I think.

Carb- I really put this off, and now I can't see why.

starting with this

Took me longer to cut these out than to cut the stud.

Like a glove. I did gaskets between the manifold and spacer, and the spacer and carb- that right?

Now I have to figure out the throttle linkage. Trying to figure out if I can take from the old carb.

Is this the only input (other than air)?

Not there yet, but getting it.
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #81
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

My rolling parts and tool cart.

My visors came out nice. The Duplicolor vinyl paint did the trick. I hope it holds up. I guess even if it doesn't, I have enough to do it 86 more times.

My gas tank is in really great shape. All I did was wipe it off. I haven't looked inside yet though. My fuel gauge doesn't work. I will be doing that soon too.

Gotta cut the holes on two of these out that I replaced.

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #82
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Suggestions on straightening this out?

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #83
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Other stuff-

My 8 year old a few months ago. Her strength needs to catch up to her skill.

I get to play rocker one weekend a year between Christmas and New Years. This is about as good as it gets. We have an awesome time. I am just to the right of the big TV in the middle, toward the back. I just play rhythm, and I came down with a really wicked cold today.

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #84
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Maybe prop it up on those jackstands and long 4x4 or there abouts and lever it back
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #85
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
Maybe prop it up on those jackstands and long 4x4 or there abouts and lever it back
I was thinking of something like that, but using a hydraulic jack as my pusher. I just wonder if I have to heat it up.
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #86
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Nah probably not I would try it without first.
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #87
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

NOT my mental picture of you!!!! I mean, it's not that you're funny looking or anything. Didn't mean to imply THAT! I just wasn't expecting the Zac Brown look!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #88
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
NOT my mental picture of you!!!! I mean, it's not that you're funny looking or anything. Didn't mean to imply THAT! I just wasn't expecting the Zac Brown look!
I whacked it all off a few days ago! Stuff just keeps coming back. I have my winter fat and hair layers in full effect right now. It was 19 and windy yesterday, and I needed all the insulation I could get. I always have some hair on the face. Being forced to shave every day while wearing green gave me a serious aversion to razors! When the beard gets a little long I zip it with a buzzer. The hair under the hat is still MilSpec though. Everybody on that stage is INSANELY talented, except me- I am VERY average.
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #89
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

What happened to the pics above??

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #90
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
What happened to the pics above??
Not sure. Photobucket has me cussin' these days. They should still be there. Those pictures will be replaced when I get to their install. The body mount holes will come first.

The gas tank will get little attention during this phase. I need the heap rollin' when I move, and the tank- other than the fuel gauge- is in great shape.

The visors were just something I was messing around with while doing something else.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.