Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #61
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I am building the crane on Friday after I install a lady's plantation blinds. Anytime after that. I need to run shorter beads. I think I have the settings right now (for what I am doing). I need to get some flat stock to fab the top of a body mount. I sliced the top off today. It came right off. I will use the other side as a pattern. Motor got to go, as I need some garage space for the other patients in the clinic. We can fish whenever you want as long as its not Tues or Thurs. I just like this guy.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #62
troutbum19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thought about taking a shot at Lick Log Fri morning. Was going to get there before sun up for the walk to the falls. If you are busy we can try again, but i'm about to be unavailable for the next 2 months. I wanna help yank the last remaining life blood from that thing, but it looks as if i'll miss out on the carnage.
troutbum19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #63
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I haven't previewed any of these pics, so sorry if they suck.

Got the floors in the front. The rest are good, so no need for my crappy welding there.

Other pieces in various stages of paint- mostly little stuff- grab handle, dash, grille, glovebox door...how the heck does one get that particular knob off?? I probably won't bother now, but it was the only one I couldn't get off.

Some steel for the two shot body mounts- from TSC.

Got the rear body valance (mostly) welded on. The cinnamon piece is a little different in dimension from the blue one. We'll see how she fits later.

Cut it so the plastic tank filler thingie was incorporated. When its screwed on it covers the hole nicely. Some more bad welding, a ton of grinding and body filler, and bam! Good as new.

Sort of...

Having fun doing it! Wish I had more time. Trying to do a little each day (night). I live in the land of major Jeepdom (Upstate SC and Western NC) and it seems every dang idiot with a Jeep has to drive by me to taunt me. I want to have it ready for the next Hinckle's ride.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #64
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Chris, throw up a good pic of your welder.

I think your doing great! Despite what you think of your welding prowess, think of how many people are out there that buy an old Jeep to fix up, then bail. You are doing it. Period. Keep plugging away. Don't get in a hurry. Hurrying will take all the fun out of a resto because you seldom meet your own deadlines. Let it roll how she rolls, and smile everytime you finish something. The small parts look fabulous, and here I am, 3 years into a build, with NOTHING painted! You are my Hero!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #65
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Scott. If I threw up a pic of the welder, some of ya'll might just throw up. I will later, but promise-no laughing. Its not the welder- it is clearly me. I also need to get some copper for backing it up- like Matt said. In a day or so when I flip her over, I am going to do the 'ol under the logo fix-both sides. I want that to come out good. I will take my time there for sure. My back corners are so bad to begin with, a good bit of filler work is in order anyway, and I won't do diamond.

The stuff I am painting is coming out pretty good. I am doing good prep, and taking my time. The grille is flipped up, but the front looks great. I will put the first color coat on that this weekend.

About the hurry factor- I am not hurrying now. HOWEVER, I have adjusted my expectation level. This is not "THE ONE". This is the first one. This is the "squeeze down the trail, scratch the crap out of, touch up when I get home, ain't perfect but runs like a top" fish sled. The next one- after a ton of practice and mistakes on this one- will be better.

That said, I have no interest in putting together some trailer queen- or even a dedicated Saturday night cruise in Jeep.

Last Saturday we hit a Wendy's after my nephew's birthday party. We live a good ways out, so lunch on the go was a must. There was a guy there with a super nice orange YJ with some Clemson gear on it. It was shiny and immaculate- a real nice ride. Looked like a weekend only, always in the garage deal. My eight year old daughter- a major Jeeper and HUGE Clemson fan- gets out of the Liberty (Mom's) and begins inspecting the YJ. After a minute or so, she takes my hand and turns to walk into Wendy's and says, "Nice jeep...too clean....needs mud."

She gets it honest.
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #66
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Ok. Months later.....

Was gonna start a seperate thread, but I want to keep it together cuz I LOSE STUFF.

I am needing some engine help. Actually, I am in way over my head, so I am in need of serious help. I am doubting if this thing will ever run again. I spend almost as much time alternately cussing and weeping as I do wrenching.

I am NOT swapping motors right now, so bear with me. Just bought what the realtors call a "fixer-upper" and my gal is 5 months preg. My budget was tight before- its ZERO now- run what ya brung. The AMC 4 cyl stays.

That said- I am slightly upgrading. I bought a Carter YF

to replace this spidery mess, the YFA

I am having a little trouble deciphering what can stay and what can go. Like:

This thingie

or this widget

I think these go to the heater core

This doo-dad connects to the exhaust, do I need this?

This post is getting long- gonna break it up.
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #67
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Already having a problem getting the YF on. Gonna ask a question about it before I break something.

The mounting bolt closer to the valve cover is hitting the carb body. Not to sound TOO stupid but, what the heck do I do with that?
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #68
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I am trying to figure out what is being circumvented by switching the carbs and bypassing the computer.

What is the sensor in the square?

Can I just cap off all the outlets in the manifold in the circle?

Same with the one in the triangle?

Unread 12-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #69
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

And...

This tubey guy went to the air cleaner contraption that was on the bracket and the YFA. Since doing away with said bracket and YFA, the cleaner will now sit on top of the YF. Where to with tubey guy?

Unread 12-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #70
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I am going to the store for some engine de-greasing stuff. Gonna do it this afternoon- even though it is 20 degrees outside. Any suggestions on products or methods?
Unread 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #71
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Any help on the above engine questions? Google searching isn't turning up much on the AMC 4 cyl arrangement, and nothing on the bypass for it- just about everything is for the 258. As I am cannibalizing everything, my Chiltons, Haynes and other stuff is worthless.
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #72
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Ok. Months later.....

Was gonna start a seperate thread, but I want to keep it together cuz I LOSE STUFF.

I am needing some engine help. Actually, I am in way over my head, so I am in need of serious help. I am doubting if this thing will ever run again. I spend almost as much time alternately cussing and weeping as I do wrenching.

I am NOT swapping motors right now, so bear with me. Just bought what the realtors call a "fixer-upper" and my gal is 5 months preg. My budget was tight before- its ZERO now- run what ya brung. The AMC 4 cyl stays.

That said- I am slightly upgrading. I bought a Carter YF

to replace this spidery mess, the YFA

Quote:
I am having a little trouble deciphering what can stay and what can go. Like:

This thingie
This is the EGR valve. Some people say it keeps our polar ice caps from melting, but without a computer you won't need it. It can be capped off.

Quote:
or this widget
I have virtually no idea what that thing is! If it pertains to a smog system, you won't need it either without the computer.

Quote:
I think these go to the heater core
I think you're right... (yay- you got one!)

Quote:
This doo-dad connects to the exhaust, do I need this?
I don't know what that is either, but without a computer....

This post is getting long- gonna break it up.
Quote:
Already having a problem getting the YF on. Gonna ask a question about it before I break something.

The mounting bolt closer to the valve cover is hitting the carb body. Not to sound TOO stupid but, what the heck do I do with that?
Either add a spacer to raise the carb, or remove the stud and install a shorter one. OR- install a holley 650 double-pumper! Think of the cool factor!

Quote:
I am trying to figure out what is being circumvented by switching the carbs and bypassing the computer.

Quote:
What is the sensor in the square?
It is a sensor. Without the computer you won't need it.

Quote:
Can I just cap off all the outlets in the manifold in the circle?
You can remove the whole thing and install a pipe plug. You did say you were bypassing your computer??

Quote:
Same with the one in the triangle?
Definitely cap that if it isn't going to be used. That will be a big vacuum leak.

Quote:
And...

This tubey guy went to the air cleaner contraption that was on the bracket and the YFA. Since doing away with said bracket and YFA, the cleaner will now sit on top of the YF. Where to with tubey guy?

That could be reconnected if it is not too short. It helps preheat... something!

Quote:
I am going to the store for some engine de-greasing stuff. Gonna do it this afternoon- even though it is 20 degrees outside. Any suggestions on products or methods?
I especially like Castrol Super Clean, because it does. Next, I like Purple Power because it... is purple. Not really, it cleans almost as well as the Castrol.

I hope I am not more damging than informative, Chris. If you Nutter the engine, most of that stuff goes away. Although I can't say specifically what everything does do, if it is emissions- related you won't need it. I can't offer anything for the Carter or the 4 cylinder. Wish I could.

Congrats on the fixer-upper. I was there 11 years ago, and I turned it into a mansion! And preggo!? C'mon! Ya'll need to stop drinking the mountain water!

Blessings Bro.

PM sent to ya.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #73
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Well, that didn't work out as well as I was planning!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #74
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Scott! That wierd plug looking thing was on the hoses to the steering box. I am probably just going to do my darndest, hope for the best, give it a couple shots here if it doesn't run, and take it to my auto mech if I can't get it to go. Actually, it's not the engine that scares me- it's all the ancillary stuff under the dash and the stupid looking harnesses I have hanging in the garage. I have parts that I look at and think "uh-oh".
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #75
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Gonna pop up some old pics cause of broken links. If you see something awry let me know. And don't say the engine...I know.

Firewall

These came out good

This side was shot- hope this works.

What's this??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.