Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vandy's 84 Body-Off Build Thread

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #46
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Old links broken, so re-posting a few.

Before the butchery

From my phone, at the PO's house

The "floor"

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Last edited by WNC-84CJ7; 03-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: double pics
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #47
dan-cj7
1984 CJ7 

Hey man, same colour as mine is! Haven't seen too many cinnamons.

Nice work on the wheels. Watching with interest.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dans-downunder-84-cj7-build-1299387/
dan-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #48
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Dan! Yours is MUCH PRETTIER than mine though! I like the cinnamon too, but redoing it would be difficult for me. I have a deal with my daughter to take her to Australia when she is a little older, and I am really looking forward to it. When I was stationed in Egypt we were part of a multinational force that had a large contingent of Aussies, Kiwis, and Fijis. They were all awesome, and we hung out a lot with those guys. The ANZAC bar was where I turned 21 and made an impossible a$$ out of myself. I almost spent the night in the slammer, and they had to carry me home, fighting the whole way. In the shape I was in then, that was pretty tough! Thanks for checking it out- keep in touch!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #49
troutbum19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good let's see where this goes. I was always wondering when you would get the JEEP fever!! It's like cowbell...you need more cowbell.
troutbum19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #50
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum19 View Post
Looking good let's see where this goes. I was always wondering when you would get the JEEP fever!! It's like cowbell...you need more cowbell.
Cowbells? Trout?? Sounds like an acquaintence? So tell us about cowbells Chris!! And get busy...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #51
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Cowbells? Trout?? Sounds like an acquaintence? So tell us about cowbells Chris!! And get busy...
I was wondering if you were paying attention Troutbum is my brother! The cowbell is the hilarious SNL skit with Christopher Walken doing the producer for Blue Oyster Cult on Don't fear the Reaper!

...and I am busy....

My welder. Adequate for what I am doing. Far more adequate than the operator

Ziss iz zee hole.

I overcut my piece. After getting it where I wanted, I crawled underneath and traced it exact with a sharpie (Sharpie should sponsor on JF- I have seen a Sharpie, in some cases a few, in every build thread). Took it out, added a 1/4" all the way around and went to it.

I wheeled around the piece and around zee hole one more time for good measure.

As it sits now. I came in for some more coffee and to step away from it for a minute. The welds SUCK, but I am getting there. I have real body repair to do later that will be seen. This will be tough to get at. Only you guys will know.

With a little hammering, the el-cheapo pan piece fits pretty good. I need practice on filling. I am leaving holes bigger than I am trying to fix. Any suggestions are welcome!
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #52
troutbum19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Moving right along. Don't worry your skillz will grow with time grasshopper. Saw your profile "First Jeep. Brother has 97 TJ. I wanted
something cooler.....". How dare you, I didn't know you were jelly all this time lol.
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #53
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Uh... yeah, that sucks, Chris!! Sorry, Buddy, but I AM proud of you. Grind the welds flat, and go back and make little spot welds bout an inch apart all the way around. Make sure you get some penetration. You should see the metal discolored on the backside, showing the heat came through the metal. It looks to me like you need to turn up your heat a little... weld look like it's laying on top of the metal. Practice on a scrap piece, adjusting your heat and wire speed. Too fast and it will "push" the gun away from the piece. Too slow and you'll just have an arc with no pooling. Really LOOK at what you're doing. You will be able to see the metal fuse. Also, if you haven't done it already, get you an auto-darkening helmut. makes it SO much easier.

And if you guys travel south, I'll show what REAL fish are!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #54
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Its coming along. I did manage to lay down some really nice ones on the current setting. When it was on high it was just blowing through. Low with the feed on around 8.5 to 9 seems to be the best. I am having better success with welding forward than back. When I arc welded it was the other way around. I do want an auto darkening helmet (an auto darkening helmut would be a German guy that darkens without assistance and that would just be wierd) - JK Scott, I couldn't resist!

Its a great day to be outside!

I have to pull the passenger side door panel off this thing after lunch and change the window mechanism. BOOOOOOOO.

Zipped off the old front psngr side body mount

Stole this one off the cinn. A little pitted but solid

Tacked to be glued on after I eat. I am hungry.

Scott- TB19 and I would come down to fish anytime bro!

TB19- Rather be jelly than smelly. Soap. Use it.
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #55
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

This was the tack.

Unread 04-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #56
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

WNC,

A trick I learned to prevent blow thru is to clamp a piece of copper behind the weld. This will dissipate the heat faster, and the copper won't stick to the weld.

I simply flattened a piece of copper pipe for my backer.

Here are few shots of my first ever welds on my CJ...a little rough, but the final results aren't too shabby.

Matt
patch2-3.jpg   patch2-7.jpg   patch2-9.jpg   patch2-10.jpg   patchfinal.jpg  

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #57
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-84CJ7 View Post
Its coming along. I did manage to lay down some really nice ones on the current setting. When it was on high it was just blowing through. Low with the feed on around 8.5 to 9 seems to be the best. I am having better success with welding forward than back. When I arc welded it was the other way around. I do want an auto darkening helmet (an auto darkening helmut would be a German guy that darkens without assistance and that would just be wierd) - JK Scott, I couldn't resist!

Its a great day to be outside!

I have to pull the passenger side door panel off this thing after lunch and change the window mechanism. BOOOOOOOO.

Zipped off the old front psngr side body mount

Stole this one off the cinn. A little pitted but solid

Tacked to be glued on after I eat. I am hungry.

Scott- TB19 and I would come down to fish anytime bro!

TB19- Rather be jelly than smelly. Soap. Use it.
TB19 isn't like putting a hit out on me or anything is it!?!?! You Black Ops dudes frighten me!! I was only joking you know? Didn't mean it! I'll clean your fish for ya for a month...

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #58
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Matt- Good deal. I'll get some copper tonite. Your repair came out sweet. Looking at yours, I think I am running beads too long. I guess you don't even run a "bead", just a spot. I think I am really going to far. I will try again tomorrow, my back is shot from hunching over. So...you just do like a bazillion spot welds all the way around, skipping around to avoid too much heat. Right? BTW- how far is Elbert from Evergreen? When I was in High School we used to stay with friends out there and ski- Keystone, A-basin- Winter Park/MJ, Vail/BC, breckenridge...those were the days....

Scott- No fear amigo. We pals. Troutbum - from now on I will call him "Tito"- is about as laid back as it gets, until he gets behind somebody slow. Seriously- I would love to fish wit ya if I ever got the chance. You know my neck of the woods, and you have a standing invite.
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #59
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

WNC,

Yes, for the most part, it's just a bunch of spot welds. As I got better, I found that I could close the last 1/2-3/4", in-between spot welds, with a continuous bead.

Definitely jump around the patch with the spots welds, so that one particular spot doesn't get too hot and warp the patch. When the spots get about 1/2 -1" apart, I like to grind them down, before making the final welds. This makes the last gaps easier to see and fill in.

I'm about 1.5 hours SE of Evergreen. I routinely drive past that area, though, on my way to Winter Park to ski. Beautiful place.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #60
troutbum19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect time of year to work on the jeep/truck, and drop a fly in front of some hungry trouts! Now that your welder is functional I can do my cab mounts. When we pulling the engine off?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.