Valves on 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Valves on 258

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 09-11-2002, 02:09 PM   #1
CJ7Danny

Valves on 258

Just picked up an 85 CJ7 Laredo with the 258 a couple days ago. This will be the first jeep I've had, among the many Toyota's I've had. That being the case, I haven't got around to purchasing a service manual for it.

Does any know of any technical papers written on adjusting the vavles, or can give me quick run down on whats the best valve clearences for this engine? Also, a sequence would help as well.

Thanks,

Danny

T176
Moser One Piece Axles
D300, D30, AMC 20, 258 ci
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Custom Rear bumper/tire carrier
CJ7Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2002, 05:48 PM   #2
CSP

Unfortunately the valves on a 258 are not adjustable. They use a bridged pivot and there is no adjustment possible with them.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
CJ7Danny

Thanks CSP... So this tells me I have another problem, besides a valve not doing what it should. I'm not actually sure it's an excessively loud valve tick that I'm hearing. I really haven't had an opportunity to investigate.

Whatever the sound is...it better hold out for a 5 hour drive! I purchased this thing in Russellville, KY and I have to drive it back to Atlanta. Wish I had a friggin trailer!
T176
Moser One Piece Axles
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Unread 09-11-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Lucky maybe?

It could turn out to be an Exhaust leak from a cracked manifold or leaky gasket...

Bruce
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2002, 09:39 PM   #5
thecarman

Re: Lucky maybe?

Quote:
Originally posted by HighCountry
It could turn out to be an Exhaust leak from a cracked manifold or leaky gasket...

Bruce
Yeah I'd check that.
Unread 09-11-2002, 11:33 PM   #6
CJ7Jeff

Sounds like a real heap! Ha ha! Just kidding. Congratulations on your purchase. You will soon realize that you will be up until all hours of the night searching for anything Jeep related on the internet.

As far as the ticking noise, I wouldn't discount it being a timing chain. Mine has made a ticking noise since I have had it and I have been over the valves. I am sure I need to do a chain. One of these days.

Good luck with the Jeep. Live it, Love it, and whatever you do, never, ever, sell it.

Out
Unread 09-13-2002, 07:58 AM   #7
CJ7Danny

Everyone,

I quite sure I can rule out the exhuast. I wouldn't consider myself by any means a master mechanic, but I'm pretty saavy when it comes to turning the wrenches.

The timing chain might be a reasonable concern and culprit for this noise. If it's not that, it's got to be something in the valve train. I'll check it out after I get back from Colorado next week.

Just in case I have to dive into that timing chain...anyone care to help? CJ7Jeff? (Actually...if he's around, he doesn't have a choice!)

I'm livin' it....lovin' it...and as right now, the only way it's going away is if someone steals it! And if that happens, they had better pray to GOD, Allah, Jesus, and every other religious idle, that I don't find them!

OUT
T176
Moser One Piece Axles
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.