Valve cover upgrade on 83cj7 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Valve cover upgrade on 83cj7 258

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
steelechris

Valve cover upgrade on 83cj7 258

Can't get this crappy plastic valve cover to seal and I'm definitely tired of smelling like burnt oil every time I drive. I'm thinking about changing out the plastic valve cover to aluminum but I'm definitely not very mechanically inclined. Ha. I can usually figure most things out but I'm kinda nervous about drilling holes in my motor. Any advice that y'all could lend would be greatly appreciated!!

steelechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
wm69

You probably won't have to drill any holes. On my 85's the holes were all there, I just had to tap two of them on the driver's side of the engine. I went and got shorter bolts rather than drilling the holes deeper, because I was worried about drilling into the water jacket. Been on there since 2002 and not leaking a drop.

I'd take the plastic one off and look before you get too excited though. 258 heads were different over the years, and some had the holes there and some didn't.

Should be the stock mounting bolts on the passenger side of the engine and the front and rear of the engine, and then two holes on the drivers side. IIRC I ended up buying all new bolts because the ones supplied with my "4.2" valve cover weren't the right size, but all I had to do was tap the two holes on the driver's side and it bolted right up.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

You'll also have to deal with the bolts coming up thru the cover off the rocker arms.They sell a kit to adapt them.I think some people saw them off but not sure.Maybe someone will chime in on this.I've got one i'm going to put on.I have the instructions if you want me to PM them to you.
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
steelechris

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully it will go easier than expected.
steelechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
munypit
1985 CJ7 

Do you have to buy the rocker arm upgrade or can you just cut them off?
munypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
BubbaK
1983 CJ7 

The Crown aluminum cover comes with the alternate rocker bridges, but I've "heard" that since the aftermarket valve cover is taller, it clears the OEM studs.

'83 CJ-7_258 I-6_T-4_D300_AMC20/D30_Bone Stock
BubbaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

My last install of the plastic cover was leak free for years. I use a plain cork gasket, the ones with the metal core never work (metal gets the slightest bend in it in shipping and never lays flat again) and those expensive rubber ones are garbage.

I washed my cover in a tub of soapy water and cleaned the head mating surface really well. They both got a spray of brake cleaner to be sure there was no grease.

Next I put a skim of sensor safe black permatex RTV on the head, put the cork gasket down and put a skim of RTV on the gasket, then I put the valve cover on and torqued the bolts down immediately like the permatex directions say to do. I then walked away for the 24 hour cure time permatex calls for and was leak free until I stepped on it by mistake 7 or 8 years later trying to fix a light in my one piece front flip clip.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
tfireguy
1984 CJ7 

I purchased my aluminum cover from parts train. It came with a extra thick cork gasket. I just had to tape two hole that are already in the head. Cost for cover was 94.00
tfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.