Valve Cover Troubles - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Valve Cover Troubles

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Keith, seems like everybody has their own way of doing things. It's taken about 4-5 hours getting off the old gasket and making sure everything is clean. Headed to AZ to get some scotchbrite pads and some brake cleaner to make sure everything is clean. Wish me luck I'm getting ready to bottom tap the bolt holes. I've never done anything like this before and it makes you feel good and I probably saved some money in the mean time.

gmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

A word of caution if one is to drill and tap while the cylinder head is still on the engine. Have a shop vac or household vacuum cleaner with the hose attached and pulling chips away as you tap and drill. Greatly reduces the chance of having unwanted foreign material fall into the oil passage ways of the cylinder head.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #33
KidLoco747
1984 CJ7 

Well, fellas, finally got the the new aluminum valve cover on using the allen head bolts! Oh yeah, jacking up the transfer case was the trick that helped the valve cover clear the fire wall! Thanks for all the help and feedback.
KidLoco747 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #34
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLoco747 View Post
Well, fellas, finally got the the new aluminum valve cover on using the allen head bolts! Thanks for all the help and feedback.
I got mine on too but it leaks! What kind of gasket and sealant did you end up using?
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #35
KidLoco747
1984 CJ7 

I used the gasket that came with the valve cover and used "Permatex, 1 Minute Gasket" sealant (item #25229). No leaks so far!
KidLoco747 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #36
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

Dropping it off at the shop so someone besides me can get my VC on without it leaking. I'm bummed out I couldn't get it right myself.
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
DVR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgreen View Post
Dropping it off at the shop so someone besides me can get my VC on without it leaking. I'm bummed out I couldn't get it right myself.
Try again. The aluminum cover takes a specific gasket and the part number comes with the kit. For those who mentioned different bolts- The current crown kit includes allen head bolts.

I put indian head gasket shellac on the cover and the cover side of the gasket, let it dry pretty good, put the gasket and cover together, put grease on the head side of the cover and it sealed up nice.

I tried it with grease on both sides and it didn't seal at all in the half moon cutouts on the drivers side.
DVR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.