valve cover smoking and throwing oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > valve cover smoking and throwing oil

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 05-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Raccroc
1984 CJ7 

valve cover smoking and throwing oil

Jeep 83' Cj7 258 with Painless Wiring, Weber 32/26, and computer system removed.

Last summer I rewired my Jeep with a Painless Wiring kit. While I was at it, I also replaced my carb with a Weber 32/36 and pulled out as much of the vacuum system as I could. After adjusting the timing and working through some carb issues, I thought I had it running pretty good.

Then it started smoking. Pressure built up and it blow the PCV valve, which was clogged (dripping) with oil. Valve cover smokes like a chimney (white smoke) and begins throwing oil as soon as I start the engine.

I am looking to do a sanity check and verify I have all the right hoses going to all the right places. Does anyone have a diagram or labeled picture similar setup that they could post? Everything looks good from what I've read, but I really think I may have something screwy.

Also, any other suggestions on where to look or what to do (avoiding gaskets and seals and want to verify everything else beforehand, as I am planning on a complete engine rebuild later in the year).

Raccroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

PICS? por favor
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Raccroc
1984 CJ7 

Cannot do pictures, as I have everything taken apart at the moment. Figured I would replace some of the old hoses (spliced, re-spliced, joined, ect...a 25 years worth of mess), replace the PCV, clean up the oil which sprayed all over everything, and use this opportunity to re-run everything nice and neat like.

Here is a posting I’ve been using for reference…
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ct...2-36-a-921742/

What I need to know (some of which still confuses me)…
  1. Vacuum Canister (four ports...left to right):
    Going to top port on Weber (evap canister bowl vent)
    Green hose going into firewall (no idea after that)
    Small port below/offset from round disk
    Small port on a round disk

Basically, I need to verify I have the correct port hooked up to the PCV splitter (which one is canister purge?) and verify where the other line needs to be run/capped.

2. There are four small vertical ports which used to be hooked up to the vacuum system near where the PCV splitter is located which used to be a part of the computer vacuum system. Which, if any, of those do I still need to use of these? If unused, do they need to be capped?

3. On the brass connector for the Factory Air Cleaner TAC system, both the small and large ports are capped (P.O.). Do I need to run these?

4. On the valve cover side of the Weber are two small ports. Currently, I have one running to my distributor and the other is capped. Does this sound right?
Raccroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Try these pictures for reference and since you have a Weber carb, the vacuum and vent lines should be connected as seen.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

Full system and simplified PCV. Hope these help,keep us posted with results/solution.
i6-vac-pcv.png   i6-vac-dia.jpg  
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.