Valve cover replacement (am i missing a bolt somewhere???) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Valve cover replacement (am i missing a bolt somewhere???)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Valve cover replacement (am i missing a bolt somewhere???)

Long story short....i got a new valve cover for my 258 85' CJ7. I easily removed the 3 bolts from the passenger side, and I then removed 4 bolts from the drivers side that had hold down mechanisms. Am i missing a bolt or two somewhere, from what i can tell i've got them all, but the cover certainly isn't coming over even though it's fairly loose....

valkadesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Answering my own question. My valve cover is only about 1/8 of an inch off the firewall so that back bolt is completely hidden. So much for this upgrade for now
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

A loose valve cover is not a good thing. And yes, that bolt in the back is a pain in the rear. When I installed my valve cover I gave up on the rear one, but it was leaking slightly in that area so I finally forced myself to get one in there. With the right socket extension, you can push the firewall metal back far enough to barely get it on the bolt, and you should be able to tighten it down. Just remember not to tighten too much.

Also, not sure if you knew it or not, but you do have to tap the 2 holes on the driver side for the aftermarket aluminum valve covers. The stock plastic valve cover uses spacer thingies that tighten down on the driver side head bolts.
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Well i can't even get a pencil down there much less a socket of any size. I'm guessing my motor mounts are sagging a bit (go figure after 20+ years). I'll probably try to jack up the engine to change those out and at the same time take off the old valve cover and replace it.

As close as it is to the firewall right now, there is zero way of even seeing that bolt, much less getting a socket on it to get it out!

Thanks for the tips though.
Unread 07-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

if your motor mounts are that bad, replace them first (simple task, cheap part).

you can't see the bolt, but it's not that bad to get at, with an extension.

when I did mine, I replaced the back bolt with a stud, which seemed to make it go alot easier.

there are many, many threads worth reading in this section, with a lot of helpful tips.

Good luck!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

I couldn't see the bolt on mine either, and I had to struggle to even touch it with the tips of my fingers. The firewall metal is fairly flexible, so I just pushed it back while slipping an extension down there and I finally got it on. It just takes a LOT of patience, that's all...
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

When i say i've got less than a 1/4 of an inch clearance i'm not kidding. I really think my motor has slipped back, it has to be. I can't even come close to getting a ratched back there.
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkadesh
When i say i've got less than a 1/4 of an inch clearance i'm not kidding. I really think my motor has slipped back, it has to be. I can't even come close to getting a ratched back there.
do you mean that there is less than 1/4" between the back bolt and the firewall, or less than 1/4" from the valvle cover back edge to the firewall?

you can't get to it with a straight ratchet and extentension, you'll need a wobbly on a 3/8" ratchet...

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.