Valve cover remove SURPRISE! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Valve cover remove SURPRISE!

Spartan Locker's at all time LOW exclusive from ROCKRIDGE FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #1
STJP
Street Jeep

1985 CJ7 

Valve cover remove SURPRISE!

Cleaned up much of the crud on the driver side if the engine. The plastic valve cover may have been weeping for some time near rear on that side. I found the rear bolt missing and the one on the driver side nearest the firewall was loose. Removed the valve cover and this is the mess I found.

I am no engine expert, but this can't mean anything good. Would appreciate information re what would cause this and what to do about it.

I purchased this CJ 10 years ago and have driven it VERY little. What little I've driven it showed no engine issues. No smoke etc. From the day I've had it, have used top of the line full synthetic oil.

Thanks, STJP

img_1587-1.jpg   img_1581.jpg   img_1583.jpg   img_1584.jpg   img_1585.jpg  

STJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I've seen guys empty all the oil then fill it back up with diesel fuel then let it run long enough to start warming up to clean junk like that up. I never saw any ill affects from it either. However you try to clean it up I'd for sure replace the oil pump.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
STJP
Street Jeep

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for your post. I'd hate to risk pumping all that crud through the engine. No telling what the inside of the crankcase looks like too.

Do you think this is the result of cheap oil and high temps?

This really discouraging. I am just about ready to re-install my manifolds with a new Weber 38 as well as several other upgrades like a new cast aluminum valve cover. I can't just put a new valve cover over this mess. Maybe I should remove the head and have it reworked etc.

STJP
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

I found the remains of a dead mouse under my valve cover...

While that looks like a lot of crap, keep in mind it is not where the wear parts of the engine slide against each other.

Get a metal valve cover and follow the numerous threads here on installing it.

Then run a diesel engine oil like Shell Rotella which has higher detergent levels.
The only thing that should go in a oil pan is oil.
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
turkish6
1982 CJ8 

I'm far from an expert but since your manifolds are already off... There's not much left to remove the head.
turkish6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

A good quality filter will catch anything before it can do any harm.

I buy Baldwin B39's by the case at Zoro.

Stay away from the orange cans of engine death.
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

That's usually from poor oil change practices and engine temps to low, short trips, no thermostat
jblue1555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
thirstybob
1986 CJ7 

From my experience, the sludge accumulates due to infrequent oil changes.
thirstybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

image-254230594.jpg

While cleaning up under the hood and fixing an exhaust leak I ended up deciding to tear things apart to really clean them. When I removed the plastic valve cover this is how mine looked. Decided while I was at it to change head gasket. I removed the head and called a machine shop. For $65 they are going to clean, polish, and do valve job. That's money well spent in my book. Waiting to go pick it up next week.
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
STJP
Street Jeep

1985 CJ7 

Thank you all. I learn, I learn...as good and cost effective the clean with oil detergents methods are, I am incapable (anal) of putting s valve cover over that. I think the head remove and valve job route may be the way.
Unread 05-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
I found the remains of a dead mouse under my valve cover...

While that looks like a lot of crap, keep in mind it is not where the wear parts of the engine slide against each other.

Get a metal valve cover and follow the numerous threads here on installing it.

Then run a diesel engine oil like Shell Rotella which has higher detergent levels.
The only thing that should go in a oil pan is oil.
2x on the oil. Back in the 50's and 60's, just about every engine out there looked like that. I would not run diesel in it but rather do about 3 engine oil changes at 500 miles with high detergent oil and perhaps with Seafoam-changing the filter each time. I use Wix filters on just about everything I own.

I can see zero use disassembling anything as long as it is running well. Frankly, it could probably go another 100k looking like that with no ill effects.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblue1555 View Post
That's usually from poor oil change practices and engine temps to low, short trips, no thermostat
My guess as well
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I have a friend who bought a used Jeep Cherokee a few years ago. The engine was sludged up worse than the OP's. He pulled the valve cover and removed what sludge he could then ran Chevron Delo 400 in it. His changed oil and filters at short intervals for a while. After 1000 miles, the engine really quieted down and looked a lot cleaner. The gas mileage improved noticeably too.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #14
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJP View Post
Thank you all. I learn, I learn...as good and cost effective the clean with oil detergents methods are, I am incapable (anal) of putting s valve cover over that. I think the head remove and valve job route may be the way.
I am anal as well but do not waste your time with that. It is not hurting anything and the rest of the engine is just as dirty so you have not really accomplished anything.

Get some good oil filters and some cheap good oil like Mobil 5000 from Wal-Mart. Run the oil with 4.5 quarts oil, quart of ATF, and 1/2 quart of Marvel Mystery oil. Take some decent length drives and change the oil when it looks dirty. Depending on how hard that is to get off the oil may get filthy in the first 50 miles. Just keep changing until it is clean.

I always look in the valve cover when buying a vehicle to check for this sort of thing. You can usually see this sort of junk on the dipstick and oil cap as well. My engines are all spotless inside, no brown gunk and I always run whatever oil is SN and cheap.
Unread 05-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #15
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I've seen guys empty all the oil then fill it back up with diesel fuel then let it run long enough to start warming up to clean junk like that up. I never saw any ill affects from it either. However you try to clean it up I'd for sure replace the oil pump.
I'd do this but change the filter first and change it again when you put oil in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.