Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Valve cover bolt coolant?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nosheep 
#1 ·
Hey guys I had oil leak at my valve cover so I replaced the gasket with a felpro now I have a big coolant leak at the first bolt (closest to the radiator) on the drivers side? I tried to put a bit of rtv on the bolt thinking it is in the water jacket did not work. I tried a bit of Teflon tape no luck. The new gasket is thicker so I went and bought a 1/4 longer bolt and Teflon taped it no luck.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
well I went to autozone and grabbed some permatex high temperature thread sealant part #59214 guess I will apply that try to start it tomorrow and see what happens. I have no signs on a blow head gasket and I have about 3k-5k miles on this new motor. In the process of the new motor install (paid someone not enough space at the time) I had them put on a aluminum valve cover, I am starting to think they screwed the pooch and went into my water jacket.

#4 ·
Ok so lucky me someone rear ended me while I was sitting at a red light. The jeep took a back seat but my car is all fixed now almost 2k thanks to the other guys insurance and I am back to the jeep today I have not started it since my last fix so I will see shortly. If the does not work I will try the other recomended stuff, and if not that I may have to pull the head.

#5 ·
I would drain the coolant down some. I can't remember where the front drivers side head bolt is but if you don't use thread sealant it will leak because it goes into the water jacket. It might be outside the valve cover though. Just thinking the engine builders could have forgot. But if it's coming from the valve cover bolt hole I would drain the coolant down a bit and use permatex thread sealant in the white bottle with brush because it sealed my head bolt good. But Im sure the aviation sealant would work too.

#6 ·
so the sealant I used to fix it seems to be holding up. I got about 100 miles and I let it run a few times to full operating temp before I drove it and still no issues. I am taking it back down today to weld in a new exhaust. I am putting a magnaflow hi flow cat 2.25 and a dynomax muffler 2.25. I currently have 2.5 exhaust with a flowmaster 44 that is a bit loud for me (sounds good though).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.