value of my drivetrain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > value of my drivetrain

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

value of my drivetrain

well I am deployed and Using my pay to freshen up my old jeeps worn out parts along with a swap of the 258 and t-176 in favor of a TBI 350 and AX-15

My 258 was rebuilt a 2 years ago I do have reciepts, it was just rebuilt no go-go parts bored .30 over and put back in

My t-176 is in need of some synchros
I also have a spare t-176 with a bent shift fork and a rebuild kit for one of them

I am wanting to know what is a resonable asking price so not to screw anyone and get some money to offset my cost and not have to lug the old drvetrain back home from the shop , I dont think its been pulled just yet

2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Thank you for your sacrifice.

Unfortunately it's not worth much, maybe a $200 for your T-176 and $1-150 for the extra, an addition $100 or so for the bell housing. If you have the driveshafts that would bring a little $50-75 each. The engine only has value if you find someone in your area needing one and then only a few hundred maybe $3-500 depending on how bad they need it. Many people offer to give 258s away on here regularly.
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

RANT ON!

NOT SACRIFICE! It's SERVICE!

The 'Sacrifice' comes to the FAMILIES that have to do without the 'Honey Do' guy around and kids that don't get a father while you are deployed...

It's not a 'Sacrifice' until you are injured seriously, getting some injury you will never recover completely from.
In my case, it was a back broken in 5 places, neck broke in 2, half a lung missing, and a variety of broken bones that didn't get set or heal correctly...

Still haven't taken a penny of disability money, I'm still able to work, so I do...
I'm not 'Disabled' until I SAY I'm disabled!
Didn't want the label then, don't want it now...
----------------------------------

As for the OP's question,

WE SOULD BE ABLE TO FIND THE PARTS THIS GUY NEEDS!
We have some time, he's deployed! Won't be back from the sand box for quite a while,
So let's put our heads together!

The questions being,
1. Do you want the old style SBC or the new style SBC with the one piece rear main seal? (Vortech Style)
For a Jeep, there isn't much difference, both are available and pretty reasonable in price...

2. Are you dead nut set on the AX-15 for a transmission?
SM 465 or SM 435 *Might* be a better, easier choice for a transmission...
It sounds like you are set on a 5 speed, is that the case?
Is this going to be a 'Daily Driver' or frequently used on highways?

3. What do you plan for a transfer case?

When you have EXACTLY what you want in mind, I'll start scavenging the junk yards around here and see what I can turn up.
MY LABOR for active, deployed military, or disabled military, is exactly ZERO dollars, so If I can help, I will...
There are things I CAN NOT afford to buy and give away, but my time/energy is ZERO cost to you.
If I have any 'Spare' parts around here that will help, I'll donate them also...

Tell us what parts you already have, and we can start looking for the stuff you don't have...

-----------------------------

Your engine, with receipts, is worth $500 to $700 around here...
The transmissions are worth virtually nothing, if you can get $200-$250 I'd take it and run,
But I suspect the best you are going to do is around $100-$150 for the working unit, and less for the spare...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

My hat is off to you Jeep Hammer. For your service and for the generosity towards other members here. Thank you

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

thanks for the quick response guys and Its not a sacrifice lol hell im just 20 no kids my mom is sacrificing not having a handy man lol

as for the engine I already have it been planning the build for years waiting on the money It is coming out of our trusty farm truck 1991 chevy 2500 withTBI 350 runs like a top rebuilt at some point owned this truck for years just didnt have use for it when we got smaller truck so it sat , I purchsed it from my mother and plan on the shop usiing the engine and TBI setup in my jeep along with the steering column hoping to get cruise out of it.

The owner has redone and modified lots of classic cars in my area and plans on hooking up cruise and the TBI I dont have a shop to swap engines or the confidence yet I did pull and put in my rebuilt engine few years ago tho

I have a CJ5 and my tranny opions are limited with its small size . I have 3.31 gears in the stock axles and run 31s, I do want the overdrive always found the T-176 needed a 5th gear and my 258 needed more power so I plan on adressing those concerns the chevy has a good NV4500 that could be made to fix with some (lots) of work its a 2wd modle and even the 4wd models hardly fit in cj5s

I dont wanan see a good engine go to waste in my shed the y trannys id sell them together I was thinking id try to get 1000 for all of it It will include all the accessories and radiator plus any spare parts id find that go to a 258

helll if know one would buy it id wait and sit on it till someone does ill just mothball it in the back of the shed I wont run it across the scales lol Id feel bad its served me well I no its sad I feel that way

so my plan in a nutshell is the shop to get it running and all when i get home do the bady work and shoot some paint , I plan on keeping it on the street it was my first car and after putting so much time and money into it I dont wanna beat on it like it owes me money so dirt roads to the lake and mabye some puddle hopping thats about it , I kinda want to hot Rod it no lift just look stock but with a V-8 growl just cruise the town mabye sh** on some punks Honda lol

PS excuse some punctuatiuon errors and typos lol Its late
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
RANT ON!

NOT SACRIFICE! It's SERVICE!
WRONG!!
SERVICE IS SACRIFICE!
Anybody who read a "dear John" letter in some dirt hole in Asadabad will tell you
Anybody who found out their mother died on a wind swept hill in the Pech river Valley will tell you
Anybody who heard their child was born, or read about their first steps, Watched their first birthday off the internet, missed soccer games, wrestling matches, and PTA conferences in some crappy base in Iraq will tell you.
Anyone who watched a buddy die will tell you.
I have seen or dealt with all of these issues and can tell you, the soldier is the one truly sacrificing.
While the home gives up their dad, mom, brother, or sister for a year, the soldier gives up EVERYTHING.
Home, family, surroundings, conveniences, and comfort. Even the simplest things like a cold beer, watching the football game, or wheeling can be rare or nonexistent.
And in the end, when one of us falls, he pays the ultimate sacrifice.
we chose SACRIFICE to serve our country. Many of us choose multiple times.
Rant off.......
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

It's SERVICE, it's what MEN DO...

Boys whine and cry about this or that,
Men get up and do something about it... Anything that happens is just part of it.

Kids are born, people die, doesn't matter if you are there or not, it still happens.

It's not a 'Sacrifice', it's just what MEN do to live in a free country here.

I think about what I 'Shouldn't' have done every morning when I'm trying to loosen up enough to get out of bed and get to the coffee pot,
I have pain getting up and down, I can't stand for very long, I can't walk on hard packed ground very long.
None of that matters since I VOTE, own land, and pretty much do what I please now.

I didn't 'Sacrifice' anything, I willing GAVE what I could to keep things that way.
I still see the VA for service related injuries, but I don't even go there for the usual things you get at my age, even though I'm 'Entitled'...

I get up EVERYDAY, drink coffee, go to work, eat where and what I want...
On weekends, I wheel, fish, goof off and generally have a good time doing what I WANT. IT was worth it.

I can't swing a golf club (couldn't hit anything when I could, so it's not a big loss),
I can't raise one arm over my head (Still have the other to scratch my head),
I'm missing about half to 2/3 of one lung, left it on the floor in a desert along with the bullet that ruined it...
(Still wish I had that bullet!)

What I got out of the deal...
At 17 and one day old, I joined the Marines...
So skinny I had to load up on bananas and Gatoraid to pass the minimum weight requirement...
I put on muscle (Which has turned to fat now! ), I went to places all over the world that you wouldn't want to send your worse enemy...

I don't back down form ANYTHING,
No job is too 'Hard', I'll find a way to get it done,
There is no such thing as a 'Bad Day', I've had my 'Bad Days', so you can make me mad for a second, but you can't ruin my day...

After 16 years of service, the powers that be decided I was too banged up to continue playing with them, so I went home and made my own sandbox to play in...
And it's fun too! Here, I just have to pay for my own vehicles and firearms...

I don't 'Regret' a minute of it,
I was a 'Dear John', and I posted her picture on the wall of shame,
I had family members pass on, while others were born,
I missed holidays, birthdays, weddings, ect.
I was wounded several times, 3 aircraft crashes, 2 bullet wounds, 2 IEDs, numerous other things...
And knowing what I know now, if I were starting over again, I would do it again, it was WORTH IT!
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

It's not either It was my"HONOR" to have protected this great country of ours.
Service means it chose me.Sacrifice means I lost something.
injured Feb8 2008
(forced)Retired May 23 2011 ,25years

went kicking and screaming.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
Oily
1985 CJ7 

TxJeeper16, I don't need your 258 but, am thinking about buying it. The opinion seems to be $300.00 to $500.00 depending on how bad they need it, with some being given away for free. Yours, with a fresh rebuild, I would think would easily be worth $500.00. I have seen advertised rebuilt engines sell for more, twice as much. Likely not including carbs, distributor, etc.
My problem is engine money is not in the budget. Convince me to add it to the budget. Who rebuilt it ? Do you know what brand of parts were used in the rebuild ? What kind of carb are you running ?
We are both in Texas but it would be a long drive to come get it, but, I am interested.
I would also like to thank you for stepping up for our country. You sir, have my respect. Not just for that. Also this ... :
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJeeper16 View Post
I am wanting to know what is a reasonable asking price so not to screw anyone ...
You are a Man, .
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy View Post
It's not either It was my"HONOR" to have protected this great country of ours.
Service means it chose me.Sacrifice means I lost something.
injured Feb8 2008
(forced)Retired May 23 2011 ,25years

went kicking and screaming.
i agree with you and JH. i was honored to serve my country. still am. I can say that i am part of the .45% of Americans who have served in this war.

anyways, back to the op's topic. imho the 258 and t176 is a great combo, if i were you i would be spending that money to rebuild the t176 and use the rest to beef up your axles and brakes if they havent been already. i love my AMC 360 but if my 258 i had was low miles and ran well like yours does, i wouldnt have switched.
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
zmonster
1982 CJ8 

I could be interested in taking the. T176 off your hands. Someone transplanted a 3 spd in my CJ8, and I could really use the extra gear at highway speed.

It is still an honor to serve this great country, 17 yrs. now and counting. Afghan 2010 gave me the money to buy my toy, now I need some extra to build her. Lol

Zmonster
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

The T-176 will not help on the big end, 4th is 1 to 1 as is 3rd in your current tranny. It will just give you a lower first and more progressive steps to 1 to 1.
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #13
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
TxJeeper16, I don't need your 258 but, am thinking about buying it. The opinion seems to be $300.00 to $500.00 depending on how bad they need it, with some being given away for free. Yours, with a fresh rebuild, I would think would easily be worth $500.00. I have seen advertised rebuilt engines sell for more, twice as much. Likely not including carbs, distributor, etc.
My problem is engine money is not in the budget. Convince me to add it to the budget. Who rebuilt it ? Do you know what brand of parts were used in the rebuild ? What kind of carb are you running ?
We are both in Texas but it would be a long drive to come get it, but, I am interested.
I would also like to thank you for stepping up for our country. You sir, have my respect. Not just for that. Also this ... :

You are a Man, .
It's going to cost AT LEAST $300 just to run through a head, and that's if there isn't anything needing replaced in the head, it just needs freshened up with valve seats, knurling valve guides, ect.

I would charge $300 or more just to clean up, crack check, inspect for warpage, clean up broken bolts/studs/plugs, and do a 3 angle valve job/valve guides, take the mushroom off the valve heads, install new springs (Springs extra) ect.
The usual stuff you do when you give a head the refresh treatment...

If I ran into something like a valve seat that needed to be replaced, valve guides that needed to be replaced, valves that needed replaced, ect. then the price could EASILY top out well over twice that much...

If you have receipts, and if the purchaser can talk to the builder,
The engine should sell for MUCH more, but that's not the way it works.
For our customers, we would extend our warranty to the buyer...
*IF* we inspected the install to make sure the guy didn't screw things up!
You wouldn't believe what people that buy a second hand engine will do with/to them!

Since we were an HONEST shop that relied on word of mouth and repeat customers,
Giving that warranty (A well built engine doesn't care what it's in, they live the same time/work span),
While the guy selling it often does it so he can get a NEW, BIGGER engine!
We get a REAL BIG CHANCE of getting that work,
Besides, when the purchaser finds out what our engines would do, we just might pick up a new customer!

It's funny, but you can pick up a low mileage engine from a late model vehicle in the salvage yard for not much more dollars...
There simply isn't much money in 'Used' engines, no matter how few miles are on them...
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

It was rebuilt in tyler buy a shop lots of guys recommended I spent a bit over 1000 on it just a whole engine rebuild nothing fancy they bored it .30 over and replaced the timing chain and gears with all metal parts I have reciepts for the engine.

As for the carb it has a Motorcraft 2100 with a caddilac aircleaner . dont ask lol it fits perfectly on the engine and keeps water out of my intake if i puddle hop

the distributer is some fancy thing HEI I think I dont know I can put a pick of it its ACDelco my dad put on it before he gave it to me just put new plugs and wires on before I found out I was set to leave

the only reason I am trying to get rid of it is since I am gone I saved up enough to put in a 350 and ax-15

I am thinking 1000 for the engine 2 T176s and 2 bellhousings, rebuild kit for tranny and all accesories radiator everything you just get it from the shop he hasnt torn it out just yet if there is doubts on its running you can hear it

There is a small oil leak in the pan , me and an old timer installed it helped me out and we didnt get it to seal right , I tried again but it was cold and didnt get it much better , plus the engine didnt leak much so just topped it off everytime u used it It was a PITA getting the pan off with it in the truck so I just lived with a leak

so If you have any questions or it I am asking to much let me know I want to get my moneys worth out of it but not have to have family tot the peices back to sit in the bed of my parts chevy, in the shed lol

Zmonster this deployment is letting me build my favorite thing besides family just the way I want it keeping it on the street still... for the most part

as for your tranny concern if you need better highway speed change your axle gearing or an overdrive tranny like NV4500 you have an 8 so you got room for that beast my parts chevy has one but a 2wd version

I am keeping the amc 20s with the 3.31s since I stay on pavement other than puddles and dirt roads , but plan on putting in one pieces when i get home and find the locker I lost in the shed, and then have the shop tear it down just once .But the TBI 350 should be going in soon , even tho I am not doing the mechanical swap I will do the body in my free time first month or two I am home still will probably have a build thread to show it off

I am so excited I have been plannin this since my dad brought it home doing a job for a guy , I just didnt have the money then to swap it so I rebuilt the 6 cus I wanted to drive my jeep not sit it in the shed till i had the money

any other questions let me know and if I am asking to much or to little as well advise me
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
It's going to cost AT LEAST $300 just to run through a head ...
I did not realize that, but I can believe it, and you, . Thanks for your input.
My hesitation is that I do not need it. Heck, I would rather have a good 4.0. However, I would like to have a good extra and would like to help our young hero out. I am trying to justify putting it in my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
If you have receipts, and if the purchaser can talk to the builder,
The engine should sell for MUCH more, but that's not the way it works.
It's funny, but you can pick up a low mileage engine from a late model vehicle in the salvage yard for not much more dollars...
There simply isn't much money in 'Used' engines, no matter how few miles are on them...
I would like to talk to the builder. TxJeeper16, can you give me the name of the shop and enough of your customer info so I can reference the rebuild. I would also hope to get the engine code original build date. JeepHammer, any other info you think would benefit me, please advise.
TxJeeper16, is the shop that rebuilt it the one which will be doing your swap ? It is too far from me to go hear it run then have to wait for a removal. I would like to talk to them too.
While I am thinking about putting this into my budget, I have another question (three). Will the CJ 4.2 bolt up to my 1970 Chevy P/U's turbo hydromatic 350 automatic transmission ? Since I am asking, will the stock straight six Chevy engines bolt in to my CJ ? Heh, the Ford straight sixes ?
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.