Value of my 79 CJ5 in your opinion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Value of my 79 CJ5 in your opinion?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

Value of my 79 CJ5 in your opinion?

I have owned this CJ 5 for almost 4 years, and I am thinking about selling it to move onto another project. I have put countless hours to get it to look the way it does now. It has the 304, 3 speed tranny, dana 30/amc 20 axles with 3.54 gears, and power steering. As far as the vin number goes, the jeep appears to have the factory powertrain.

The good....the engine runs strong, I have added a msd box, headers and new mufflers, elelbrock aluminum intake, Holley 470 TA carb, edelbrock cam, team rush distributor, and all new fuel lines. I built a rear tire carrier, replaced the power steering box, new steering shaft and tire rod ends, upol raptor inside of the jeep, new seat belts, double cardan rear drive shaft, 4" 4WD lift, upgraded the head lights, warn M8000 winch, Goodyear MTR 32" tires with American racing aluminum rims, replaced all brakes, new rear main seal, all gauges correctly work, and Kenwood radio with detachable face. All lights and blinkers work, it has a current Louisiana inspection sticker. The jeep is really reliable and I would drive it almost anywhere. With all of the steering upgrades, it steers and stops really well for a jeep this age. I also have a two hitch that bolts to the front bumper so it can be towed anywhere. It does have a bikini top, but no stop top or doors.

the bad..the previous owner slapped a coat of paint on it prior to me buying it. The hood, fenders, and windshield frame have rust issues that have been painted over. I personally welded in patch panels from quadratec on the rear of the frame where the front of the rear left spring attached to the frame. This repair really came out well. No heater components, but I do live in Louisiana, so a heater is rarely needed.

I know I will never get all of my money back, but if I were to put it on the market, what do you think it is worth?

picture-144.jpg   picture-145.jpg   picture-197.jpg  
lsukevinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
SKT
1981 CJ7 

These 'CJ value' threads are always subjective, primarily because of location and opinions.

That said, my opinion is around $4,500'ish.

Your CJ looks great in the pics, and is reassuring to hear it's reliable/street friendly; however, the rust issue could be turn off to some potential buyers - especially those looking to drop the $$$ on a turn key CJ.

Could always start the price around $7k OBO and see what offers/interest you get.

Having owned several CJ-5's, it's my opinion/experience that they are not as popular as the 7's and 8's. Less storage room and the shorter wheelbase is challenging for those of us w/ families. Of course there are some loyal CJ-5 fans out there, but again, the re-sale value on 7's and 8's always seems to be better.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

thanks for you opinion, that is about that I was expecting too. I have thought about replacing the fenders, windshield, and hood and slapping a fresh coat of paint on it and asking a little more. But then you run into a potential buyer stating he does not like the color.
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

I've seen that most of the CJ5s go to the older gentlemen who don't have to worry about the family aspect. I only have the one kid and went looking for my CJ5 on purpose. I've owned 7s and 5s and a Wrangler and I have a soft spot for the 5. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I agree with starting it at $7k and seeing what happens. The good news is that you don't HAVE to sell it and can sit on whatever price you want.
Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

It looks really good in the pics.....5 to 7 seems fair...........run it at 7 and if no one calls or looks you have your answer....you can always lower it in price and most people like to haggle.

If it runs and drives good most people are willing to overlook the imperfections on a older Jeep.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
OlympicMountain
1972 CJ5 

I'll have to agree with the group. If your Jeep didn't have the rust issues, had a heater, and top, I'd agree with the 7k. It's very photogenic. If your really going to sell it. Don't spend another penny on it. Get what you can and don't look back.

I live in Washington State. You're rig would be worth a little less without a heater. Good Luck.
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbwardfamily

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

This is what it always comes down to with vehicles/bikes that cannot easily be Kelly Blue Booked.

Finding that one buyer who wants the specific vehicle and has the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbwardfamily

The good news is that you don't HAVE to sell it and can sit on whatever price you want.

This always helps too. Being able to turn down the low ballers and hold out for that one person to come along.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
thomasbruns1
Just Empty Every Pocket

1981 CJ7 

If your really going to sell it. Don't spend another penny on it. Get what you can and don't look back.

Agree totally. I look at your Jeep and I see dollar signs, like when I look at mine. I know I would just get angry if I tried to sell mine and someone started picking over it. Sell it and don't look back. Personally I like the look of the 5, especially with a V8 and 3 speed.
thomasbruns1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

What's the deal with the tub? I don't see "jeep". Patched? New?
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdatkins View Post
What's the deal with the tub? I don't see "jeep". Patched? New?
I really don't know. Because both sides are nice and smooth, I honestly think the previous owner may have installed a new skin on both sides.
Unread 09-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

well, well, well. I posted the CJ on the local craigslist and had a few people come look at it. Last night I had two guys look at it and they offered me 6,000 for it. He said he is suppose to get me a check from the bank within the next few days. So long to the little green CJ5, you have been a good friend. Now onto something else. Anyone know of a good project in the Baton Rouge area?.....lol
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
YJ-TJ-YJ-CJ7

I think you'd be able to get between 7-10k for it, if presented well.

Good luck.
YJ-TJ-YJ-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.