Value of different cj-7's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Value of different cj-7's

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-29-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
jpsmets
1982 CJ7 

Value of different cj-7's

I just bought my first cj7 it is an 83 and was thinking about converting it back to almost stock. It has a ton of aftermarket garbage on it. My question is Does anyone know the value or demand for a golden eagle compared to the other types? (loredo renegade) I have a chance to pick one up pretty cheap and I want to know if there is a demand if I was to turn around and sell it to get money to restore my own. Or is it worth keeping and trying to sell mine. Help too many jeeps not enough money!!!

jpsmets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
rwcloukey

Its great to hear about your first CJ, but as you will be soon to learn. "jeepin'" is something that you will pour alot (sometimes too much) of your money and sweat into and get only gratification out of. Granted yes there are some cases where guys have either re-biult or restored CJ's and sold them for 10+ thousand. Ask anyone of them what they put into it and the dollar amount alone is higher than what they sold it for (no profit) plus the man hours that it took to get it there.
If I were you Id focus on what YOU want the jeep to be. Either a resto project or a build-up and run with it. Your not gonna make money on a jeep. hope to help you out on your new CJ. And yes the models you refer to do vary slightly in value. "a jeeps value is in the eyes of the be-holder, not Kelly Blue Book"
diamond dash
rwcloukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
jpsmets
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcloukey
Its great to hear about your first CJ, but as you will be soon to learn. "jeepin'" is something that you will pour alot (sometimes too much) of your money and sweat into and get only gratification out of. Granted yes there are some cases where guys have either re-biult or restored CJ's and sold them for 10+ thousand. Ask anyone of them what they put into it and the dollar amount alone is higher than what they sold it for (no profit) plus the man hours that it took to get it there.
If I were you Id focus on what YOU want the jeep to be. Either a resto project or a build-up and run with it. Your not gonna make money on a jeep. hope to help you out on your new CJ. And yes the models you refer to do vary slightly in value. "a jeeps value is in the eyes of the be-holder, not Kelly Blue Book"
I'm not looking to restore for a profit, I've wanted a cj all my life. I just dont know much about golden eagles. It would just make me feel better that I held onto the jeep that has a better chance of holding its value. Its a mental thing(plus keeps the wife off my back) Thanks
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

There is different types of "value" placed on the various CJ models. These not only range from condition, but also production numbers and demand due to special package options. With CJ's getting older, it becomes harder to base value just on one element (such as most do with age). A 79 Golden Eagle may have low mileage and garage kept, while the 85 base model may be rusted out and at 203K miles......which is worth more??? In contrast, a higher mileage CJ that has been WELL cared for with oil changes and replaced parts may be better than the lower mileage one that was abused. You get the idea. So I don't look at mileage or year in that respect. I do look at the year for available options, packages, and model changes based on what I want or need. The magazines and such bombard the Jeep crowd with constant imagery that you must alter a Jeep......meaning it is getting harder to find clean, stock examples.....I will always hold these higher in value.
When looking for my first Jeep, I too had the chance to buy a mint Golden Eagle for 3 grand. At that time, I thought I wanted to get a Jeep, lift it, big tires, trick it out, etc. Through the research I did on Jeeps, I knew it would be a crime to alter this Jeep. I passed by tell the owner I was looking for more of an average Jeep due to me changing most of it out later. Do I regret it....yes and no. Through more research and 2 more years of looking and learning. I ended up with a MINT 86 Laredo (I have kept it stock 13 years now) While both are prizes, the 86 meets more of what I need and want (differences in V8 and 6 cyl engines, axles, transmissions, interiors, etc.)
So to answer your question, yes a Golden Eagle does hold more value to certain people....those looking for it. If condition was the same between to 2 Jeeps in question, I personally would lean toward the 83 as I am a big fan of the 82 to 86 models.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
MR.CJ-7

What kind of aftermarket "garbage" I might want some of it.
Unread 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
jpsmets
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.CJ-7
What kind of aftermarket "garbage" I might want some of it.

He put corbeau clubman seats, a hood scoop, dash n store dash pad w/infinity speakers, bumper with tow reciever, I sold some other stuff on e-bay that came with it also.
Unread 03-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
MR.CJ-7

Oh, it is true crap!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.