Vacuum system on 304 is a MESS! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum system on 304 is a MESS!

Rough Country Lift Kits now available at Baseline 4x4 OutfHeavy Duty 2007-2013 Jeep JK Wrangler Perfmance Ball Joint1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved d

Unread 09-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Leadmine
1979 CJ5 

Vacuum system on 304 is a MESS!

Been searching this forum and googling all morning and its just left me more confused than I was. I bought a really nice specimen of a CJ5 recently after looking for several years. Its obviously been well cared for and has some high dollar parts but I guess the last owner did a little cobblin'. Anyway, I ordered a CD of the original 79 dealer service manual and have been using that to correct all the crap the previous owner hacked. Got to the engine's vacuum system and have hit a snag. I'm getting a small amount of vapor coming back through the oil filler cap, which I've read could be cause by a bad PCV valve. Printed off the "49-State 304/manual trans - CJ Models" vac diagram from the cd. Checked it and both ends of the pcv were plugged with screws. upon further inspection I noticed a couple things.

1. The air pump, diverter valve, non-linear valve and egr cto switch are GONE.
2. Distributor vac line goes straight to the back of the carb, instead of to non-linear valve as shown in the diagram. The rear port of the carb is where the PCV is supposed to run to, according to diagram.
3. Diagram shows a rear port for PCV. Also shows an "E" port coming off the front that is supposed to be capped, and a "S" port on the passeneger side that connects to all the missing stuff. My carb doesnt have E or S port. Its a motorcraft and I believe its the original carb but I could be wrong.
4. evap canister has one green plastic hose that comes off and runs back toward the gas tank, neither of the other two nipples are hooked up.
5. EGR valve isn't hooked up to anything or capped.

SO......my big question is the PCV. If I hook it up as shown in the diagram where can I get vacuum for the distributor? Can I put a T in the line and hook them both to the same port? I just put in a new rear main and pan gasket (pan gasket was pouring oil). Engine doesn't leak a drop now, runs great and I'd like to keep it that way. Its obviously not too affected by the missing parts I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that is needed or will cause problems down the road. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Unread 09-08-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

Hi,

Which carb do you have? I have a AMC360 in my CJ7 and the vacuum lines have been a real bear to get sorted.
AZ_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
Leadmine
1979 CJ5 

I have (according the my service manual) a Motorcraft 2100. I went back and read through everything I could find on that carb and it doesn't explain much about where to pull vacuum from. The vacuum diagram my service manual shows for my engine doesn't match up to the vacuum ports on the carb.

On a side note, the cto switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.