Vacuum Lines after Nutter Bypass - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum Lines after Nutter Bypass

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #76
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

So are you saying that the ported vac should not be shared with the distributer vac. Please excuse me, I just not familuar with the way vacuum is suppose to work. And when you refer to S port etc.. I really don't know what you mean. But I want to learn it. Thanks for you help and any input you have.

waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #77
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
So are you saying that the ported vac should not be shared with the distributer vac. Please excuse me, I just not familuar with the way vacuum is suppose to work. And when you refer to S port etc.. I really don't know what you mean. But I want to learn it. Thanks for you help and any input you have.
I'm saying that IF you choose to use the "S" ported nipple for vacuum spark advance and then share that same source with the EGR or any other device which bleeds (looses) vacuum your vacuum advance will suffer loss.

Each ported vacuum nipple is labeled, depending on the location of the port in the bore or the venturi.

In one photo you've provided it almost appears as though you have the CarterBBD...the "S" (spark)ported nipple is on the V.Cover side mid-way up the carbs body. Using that assumption, the BBD has an "E" (EGR or emission)ported nipple on the left front corner near the base of it. Use it for the EGR.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #78
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

mcmud. Was this the picture you were refering to? Not my carb, but I do have the same one. Which port are you saying I should plug the EGR vavle into? 1 or 2?
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #79
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Looking at the first pic posted on this thread the "E" nipple on a BBD is the one at the base of the carb... that one with the upward pointing indicator.
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #80
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Removed incorrect photo
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #81
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There were just too many flavors of emissions..... I am up in Canada and see the more complex ones on the YJ 258's mostly. CJ's were still utility vehicles.

One thing in common is that the EGR vacuum has to run through the CTO switch so it can't turn on with a cold engine, then to the air filter TVS so it can't turn on with a cold carb air flow, then to the EGR.

This means you have to have the heat stove pipe installed from the bottom of the air filter snout to the exhaust manifold or the EGR will never work in the winter because the air will just suck in ice cold.

Seeing as the EGR can bleed and needs a vacuum modifier in the line if run off the S port, it can get it's feed from the E port also it would seem.

They made more than one type of canister also. 'Some' used the multi ported CTO and the E port, some ran direct off a T from the S port with no CTO, some used the CTO. (the chokes are different if it used the CTO or not)

How was your canister plumbed in before? If direct off a T on the S port, it should go back that way.

Some of the CTO's mixed the timing vacuum sources also.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #82
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Mike, I have not removed anything yet so it is stock from what I can tell. I will have to look to see what goes were. As for Heat Stove pipe, that was one of the first thing I purchase along with the Air Intake tube. Once I put those in I noticed a big differece in how long it took to warm up.
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #83
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

If your intent is to use the "S" ported signal for vacuum spark advance use this layout. Then, since the CTO does not appear to be original you should verify that it will allow the signal to pass thru at the warmed engine condition with this configuration.
vaclines_2portcto-20-28medium-29.jpg  
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #84
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
If your intent is to use the "S" ported signal for vacuum spark advance use this layout. Then, since the CTO does not appear to be original you should verify that it will allow the signal to pass thru at the warmed engine condition with this configuration.
I have seen a lot of the 84-86's with only the single CTO on them, it is likely OEM. Those ones have the non bleed canister usually. My OEM from the dealer when they still had them, canister holds a steady vacuum on the CTO valve.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #85
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

The point that I was attempting to get across is while the tubes on top are labeled as going to sol-vac and temp vacuum switch then they may in fact be actuation tubes. That possible "3rd vacuum line" underneath the CTO adapter may be the vacuum source. So in the case that it is (user should verify)... then the layout I provided would not function as intended.
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #86
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

How would I go about checking if I do indeed have a working third port on the bottom of the CTO. Right now it has a short piece of rubber hose on it about 1/2" long, and looks to have been broken. I don't remember hearing a hiss or whitsle.
Unread 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #87
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

First I would verify that it is/was a vacuum tube... it may just be part of that lock-on cap, the one with the two nipples.

If it is found to be a nipple and there is a vacuum pump is available use it connected onto it.

I would begin with removing the dual nipple cap from the CTO so that two short tubes could be connected to the nipples beneath it or simply disconnect the two tubes from the sol-vac and TVS. This will allow you to sense that a signal is passing thru the CTO at both of the top nipples...once the engine has been warmed-up.

With the lack of a vacuum pump connect a temporary tube from any vacuum source that might share the same diameter as that nipple and test.

If you use a ported source (S or E) you will need to set or hold the engine speed above the curb idle speed by say 200-300rpm so that the port will provide a vacuum signal. Whereas if you were to test with any manifold vacuum source it would be constant without having the throttle opened.

If it is possible, would you provide a photo of this CTO without that cap fitted onto it?
And
Is there another CTO forward of this one, say 3-4" just under the water jacket inlet?
Unread 01-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #88
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Thanks I will look this weekend and see what I can find out. Thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted.
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #89
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That looks like the normal cap in the 2 port cto to me. Mine looks identical. Some just are that simple.
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #90
GalxyBird5
1985 CJ7 

Why is it that my charcoal canister only has three ports leading off of it instead four like in my haynes and on this diagram?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.