Vacuum Lines after Nutter Bypass - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum Lines after Nutter Bypass

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #61
abernut
1985 CJ7 

In reference to the above diagram does it matter what type of EGR I have as Mike stated.

I drove my jeep to work Friday and dropped it off at the local off-road place so they could put it up on a lift and look at everything underneath. Went to pick it up and it magically would not go into gear. The only issue I had when I dropped it off was that it would slip out of first. The rubber boot for the shifter was still un-screwed so I'm not sure if they messed with it or not.

But as soon as I get it back I will test and see what type of EGR it has.

abernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #62
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
In reference to the above diagram does it matter what type of EGR I have as Mike stated.

I drove my jeep to work Friday and dropped it off at the local off-road place so they could put it up on a lift and look at everything underneath. Went to pick it up and it magically would not go into gear. The only issue I had when I dropped it off was that it would slip out of first. The rubber boot for the shifter was still un-screwed so I'm not sure if they messed with it or not.

But as soon as I get it back I will test and see what type of EGR it has.
If you use the E port, then the type doesn't really matter, it shouldn't be able to dump the advance back, but there is a reason it shows a reverse delay valve on the manifold line so if you go that route to mix the manifold vacuum when cold and ported when warmed up, if it bogs, think of that valve...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #63
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Keep TVS?

It is safe to assume I need to keep the TVS "Temperature controlled vacuum switch" (located on the air filter housing) and the two associated vaccum lines? This appears to be part of the EGR system, as shown here:

EGR-Related Vacuum Routing

This page shows a photo of the TVS (#3):

Air Cleaner
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #64
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
It is safe to assume I need to keep the TVS "Temperature controlled vacuum switch" (located on the air filter housing) and the two associated vaccum lines? This appears to be part of the EGR system, as shown here:

EGR-Related Vacuum Routing

This page shows a photo of the TVS (#3):

Air Cleaner
Yes, you need it. The EGR isn't supposed to turn on until the air going into the carb is warm enough so you also need the heat stove tube from the nose of the air filter down to the exhaust heat stove for it to work properly when it is cold out.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #65
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Phew. Thanks to this thread, Mike Romain, and Dale's Advenetures under the Hood, I was able to remove these items:

After I got to know the general layout of all of the lines, this diagram was very helpful:

Ultimately I used that as a checklist to make sure I was left with the necessary plumbing.

For the first time I can now see the back of the valve cover!

Now I need to go back and replace the worn out vacuum and vent lines, which is basically all of them. I also want to pull and refurbish the charcoal canister. I don't think it's ever been serviced. It looks exceedingly dusty.

One other question: What's the best way to deal with the obsolete connectors on the wiring harness? Removing each obsolete wire from the harness is probably more than I want to deal with right now. I could cut off each connector, apply shrink tubing to each wire, and then shrink each bundle together. That would at least be better than having those large connectors hanging there.

Last edited by Ken4444; 07-04-2010 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: Added a photo
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #66
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I realize this an old thread but would like to bring it back to life with few questions. Were are the "Thermal Electric Switch" and the the "Temp Cont. Vacuum Switch" located? Also every thing that is left open now gets plugged? Last, the tube all 1/4" except for the PCV valve lines correct? I was thinking of just running new line as I go. Then anything left thats old remove and plug as an easy way to follow the diagram.
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #67
abernut
1985 CJ7 

My TVS was located on the back of my Air Filter Housing.
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #68
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Ok I undersatnd now. The way I was looking at it since I did not know were those two items were located, was . I thought that there was a hose going to from the air filter to the Temp control and Thermal electric Switch. Thanks for clearing that up.
Unread 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #69
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Now I need to what for warm weather
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #70
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Ok. I looked at the Jeep today to see if it all looked the same as the picture. One thing I noticed was that my CTO valve only has 2 ports. How would I a run the vacuum lines. I have a carter carb.
Unread 01-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #71
abernut
1985 CJ7 

Can you post pictures of your CTO Valve
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #72
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I will try to take a picture tonight.
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #73
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

EDIT: Removed bad drawing
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #74
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Here is a picture of my CTO Valve. While looking at it, it may be a 3 Port valve. It looked tlike there was a broken piece of hose off the bottom. One picture you can see the two hoses coming out of the top, the other is the side picture. I trace the 2 vacuum hose and one goes to the "Temp Control Vacuum Switch" on the air cleaner and the other goes to the Sol-Vac on the Carb. I will haveto get this in the garage or wait until it warms up. Everything is a little stiff in 20* cold.
imag0135-medium-.jpg   imag0136-medium-.jpg  
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #75
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
I re-drew the diagram to show a 2 port CTO Valve. Will this work? I only really changed the Ported vac to one tube going to the CTO and T'ed the Charcoal cansister with the Temp Control Vacuum Switch.
See post #18

The point of it is that you should NOT share the "S" ported nipple to control vacuum spark advance with any bleeding device.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.