Vacuum Lines after Nutter Bypass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Vacuum Lines after Nutter Bypass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #16
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Diagram is on the money!

VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Yes, those look right for drawings.

You have the emissions CTO which can also turn on the EGR. The line to the ER should also go through the air filter thermostat though so the EGR only turns on when the coolant is hot (CTO) and when the carb air is warm enough TVS switch in the air filter or the engine will bog.

The last line on the CTO gets capped or you can just use the one side with the two nipples to just turn on the canister.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Actually I find that diagram is in error. While it indicates that the vacuum advance tube is T'ed into the CTO feed which then leads to the EGR, it bleeds air, so the signal that supplies vacuum advance is reduced in strength equal to the amount of the bleed off. Less signal equals less advance.

It is vague to the reader whether that line is connected to the "S" ported nipple or to the "E" ported nipple on that Weber. Shall we prefer to assume that it is indicating that it is connected on the "S" ported nipple.

The fuel tank vent and the carb bowl vent are reversed and then that 5th nipple on the CTO is a air leaking cap. It is no longer necessary with the nuttered ignition and until that nipple is plugged it is just another source for a vacuum or air leak.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
abernut
1985 CJ7 

mcmud,

So on the picture, I need to swap the "fuel tank" and "carb vent" at the Charcoal canister and ensure the 5th nipple on the CTO (the one by itself) is capped.
abernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Huh? Weber? He has a BBD. Yes, the diagram has the two lines reversed at the charcoal canister, but each port is actually labeled on the canister top. Just make sure carb vent goes to carb vent, etc.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #21
abernut
1985 CJ7 

Thanks
I almost want to take the rest of the day off and go hook everything up. She has been sitting in my garage since I bought it last Sunday.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

In looking at your canister photo all is well with how it is hooked up thus far. I suggest a real good check for air leaks at those connections. Those appear to be original clamps and all is well with that if they are whole and still able to hold the tubes firmly in place.

Those tubes with a bit of age become rather hard for the clamps to be so effective to compress the hose. And an old tube will hold the memory of the barbs of the nipples, that causes a very good possibility of finding another air leak at each of them. Slice them away rather than twisting and pulling at them since the nipples are pretty brittle by now.

I believe that "Cap" is the description of that OEM part. It was fitted into the vinyl connector which I do not see in your photos. No cause for concern with that if it is missing. In that you can connect your tubing directly onto the nipples of the CTO just as well, or even better than with the original connector. I find that they are prone to leaks as well.

Since you want to omit leaking troubles you may as well target them all. Once set up with them all corrected rather than having a just little here and a little there it's ez to notice a change when down the road another one develops.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #23
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Huh? Weber? He has a BBD. Yes, the diagram has the two lines reversed at the charcoal canister, but each port is actually labeled on the canister top. Just make sure carb vent goes to carb vent, etc.
Yeah. I see that.

It was to the diagram that my comment was based upon.

It was drawn and presented to this forum as being the Weber layout. It is flawed, IMHO.

It takes no account for the two air bleeds that are illustrated in it.

Either way his BBD and that Weber have an "S" ported nipple. If this user has intention to control the vacuum timing advance with the "S" ported nipple then any possibility of having any leak on that tube should be eliminated I would say.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
abernut
1985 CJ7 

I was just looking for the right Vacuum setup diagram. I went out and purchased about 15 feet of of hose, clamps, T-connectors, etc. I purchased fuel line to use as it seems much more durable.

I am going to follow the above diagram and replace every hose I come across and plug anything not pictured above.

I have already replaced the plugs, wires and PCV valve. Tonight I am replacing the serpintine and power steering belt and a new distribitor, rotor, cap, etc.

Then I will set the timing to 8* BTDC (+/- 2*)

I am hoping she purrrs like a tiger when finished.

Will let you guys know how it turns out.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
abernut
1985 CJ7 

Since I have the BBD I follow the diagram, correct?

Making sure the canister is properly connected.
Unread 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #26
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Just don't put the EGR valve in that way, the rest is ok.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #27
abernut
1985 CJ7 

Mike.
Is this what you're talking about.

Excuse my excellent MS Paint skills.
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #28
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
Mike.

Yes, that one looks right. there is even a reverse delay valve in the EGR line too I believe so if you get bogs when hooked that way, try disabling the EGR by unplugging it and blocking the line until you find one. I used to have a link to a source, but he source doesn't exist now.
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #29
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
Mike.
Good illustration. So does this represent the minimal plumbing needed after the Nutter Bypass?
Unread 06-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
abernut
1985 CJ7 

Yes I believe so.
I am not near the jeep right now but does the TVS have an input and output nipple?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.